Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geometric Tol. question

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jbelle7435
564 Views, 7 Replies

Geometric Tol. question

Basic question but could lead me in the right direction from here...

I have a drawing(OLD) that says "Sides must be flat up to Diameter" Where te arrows are pointed are where the note was. From what I know can geometric tolerances be used instead of that note. If so I did some work seeing how to replicate it with that and this is what I did. Does that make sense and if maybe there are more resources out there to get me on my way if I run into more stuff like this.

Inventor 2012
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: jbelle7435

Be very careful with GD&T.. Trying to be "too fancy" can just raise the cost of your parts considerably. 

In my opinion its better to not use GD&T if you don't know exactly how it works.

google "gd&t"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
jbelle7435
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thats like syaing don't get married when your married for 50 years :). I worked at a few places but never was in a situation yet to use it round the clock ro even for a few minutes. I guess some companies love it and some don't and some don't even know. I probably was in the "Don't even know" category.

Inventor 2012
Message 4 of 8
rdyson

Not knowing design intent it's difficult to say. But a .000 tolerance is not realistic, I assume this was just for demonstration purposes.

Again, working from ignorance, I'd probably use flat for one side and parallel for the other.

PDSU 2016
Message 5 of 8
mrattray

GD&T is all about expressing design intent. Without knowing what you want to say, how can we tell you how to say it?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 8
jbelle7435
in reply to: mrattray

"Sides must be flat up to Diameter" replaced with g.tol but with the info I got already its fine as is.

Inventor 2012
Message 7 of 8
Mark.Downes

Hi Jbelle7435,

As all above have correctly stated, the cost of your part could rocket if

GD&T is used unnecessary and it would be wrong to give you an answer

as to how tight your tolerance should be.

With that caveat mind, here is an example of how I would approach

a flatness tol on one side and a parallel tol on the other to tie them together.

Again this is only a suggested guild, your actual tol / price requirement may be very different.

Hope this is of help

Cheers

Mark

Inventor 2013

Capture.JPG

Cheers
Mark
Inventor 2018, 3DS Max 2018, Vault 2018
Message 8 of 8
jbelle7435
in reply to: Mark.Downes

Thanks that is really nice and maybe what I even wanted except right now this is a new language that can't learn in 1 day and a shop floor would have to learn as well. I will def save this as a good example!

Inventor 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report