Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Question from new user

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
294 Views, 5 Replies

General Question from new user

I have a bunch of plates.  The plates get welded to make a box and sent for stress-relieving. The box comes back and gets machined before it gets more parts added to make another assembly.

How is the best way to handle this in Inventor?

So far, I have created individual parts for each side of my box as each side is unique.  Then I have created an assembly bringing together each part (at this point I have not made any welding on my assembly).  Then I created another assembly to bring in my box to machine.  I have noticed that the feature "thread" to create a NPT hole is not available in assembly.

After the plates are assembled and welded to make a box, I would like to treat the box as a part no longer as an assembly.  Can it be done that way?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
yannick3
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

1- your assembly is useless with no part

2- complet your assembly

3- create a new part and derive your assembly in the new part created (search derive in the help)

now you can add your NPT hole with the hole command

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

How is the best way to handle this in Inventor?

Generally, it is best to mimic the manufacturing process. Does each plate require a separate drawing? If not, then you could cheat a little and make the box one part from the beginning. In newer Inventor versions, a multi-body part might be the way to go.

I have noticed that the feature "thread" to create a NPT hole is not available in assembly.

Why not use the hole feature?

After the plates are assembled and welded to make a box, I would like to treat the box as a part no longer as an assembly.  Can it be done that way?

For BOM purposes, you could set the BOM stucture of the assy to Inseperable. Otherwise, you could derive the assy, which would make it easier to add complex machinining features.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I'm not using the hole feature for the NPT I need.  Although there are some pipe threads under the hole feature, I don't know why there wouldn't be the one I need which is only found under the thread feature.  Ex. I need 1/8"NPT which is drilled with a "R" bit and tapered 27 NPT.

Regarding the assembly, I do need separate drawings for each plate prior to assembling and welding, otherwise that would be a good idea to cheap, as you say.

I will try some of the options proposed and learn some more!

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

You don't have npt as a choice in  in your hole dialog?

npt hole.JPG

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

I did say "taper" didn't I....eh, yes I do have that now that I actually look at the taper option.  I learned yet again!  Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report