Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gate Axis Parting Lines for Plastic Mold

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
leungbik
451 Views, 7 Replies

Gate Axis Parting Lines for Plastic Mold

Hello,

I have a problem with creating a mold on a simple plastic part. 

I'm on the part where I put in the Gates and connect them to the runner.

The error says "The gate axis is not on the parting lines. Change the point definition or change the gate type."

I tried to change the gate type from edge gate to fan gate, since the plastic part is just a simple flat plate. 

I'm relatively new to Inventor but the tutorials don't help as much as what the parting lines mean.

This is my first project so I'm still trying to understand how the Inventor Mold Automation works. 

I have attached the files so it would be easier for you to see just in case. 

Thank you. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jdoty36287
in reply to: leungbik

I'm having this problem right now (2018 Inventor). Anybody know how to fix this?

Message 3 of 8

The original OP did not include the part file in attachment.

Can you Attach your file(s)?

Message 4 of 8

Essentially I am following this tutorial with the only difference being the part: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/20...

I cannot use the manual runner sketch tool because I can't select the faces I want to place the runner on, so I am forced to use the auto runner sketch tool. I move the generated sketch to the correct location according to the tutorial, and I am hit with the error. I've attached the project file as well as a picture of me not being able to select the appropriate face (but I can select the corner runoff faces).

Thanks!

screenshot.jpg

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

Message 5 of 8
MingweiGao
in reply to: leungbik

Hi leungbik,

I saw there is a gap(in vertical direction) between gate point and runner sketch plane. If you want to create Edge or Fan gate via two points, the gate point and end point(on the runner sketch) need to be on the same horizontal plane. From your dataset, the runner sketch plane is not on the parting plane, so you should redefine the runner sketch plane.

Thanks,

Steven

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 6 of 8
MingweiGao
in reply to: jdoty36287

Hi jdoty36287,

It looks like the runoff surface is not paralleled with XY plane, so you cannot select it to create runner sketch. Refer to the attached picture.

Thanks,

Steven

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 7 of 8
jdoty36287
in reply to: MingweiGao

What should I do in this situation, then? Most parts will not have planes perfectly parallel with an X or Y plane, right?

Message 8 of 8
MingweiGao
in reply to: jdoty36287

Create a workplane in Moldable part manually, let it through gate point and parallel to XY plane. Then you can use this workplane to create runner sketch.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report