Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Function to set the colors

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mechamania
234 Views, 3 Replies

Function to set the colors

Hi,

I have a big assembly consisting of a large number of sub assemblies and parts.

I would like to be able to quickly show color alternatives. All painted parts will be painted in one of two colors.

I would like to have a function that takes two color arguments that will set the color of a number of parts

to the first color and some other parts to the second color. Not all parts need to be painted.

I have seen solution on this forum to set the color of all parts in a assembly to one color.

But I have two sets of parts for different colors and not all parts need to be colored.

How can I do this best? iLogic? How do I have to input the colors?

How to deal with repeating patterns (should still work when changing the repeat count)?

Also, there should be some text on some parts. Can I also change this text color automatically?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pcrawley
in reply to: mechamania

Are you familiar with View Representations?

Peter
Message 3 of 4
mechamania
in reply to: pcrawley

I still have to change all part colors manually when using view representations. Do I?

Message 4 of 4
pcrawley
in reply to: mechamania

View reps store appearance overrides.  So you model everything using the appropriate colour, then in the assembly, set the override colour whilst you have one of the view reps active.  

With two view reps (and the "Master"), it's no more than a double-click to switch from one representation to another.  You can also right-click a view-rep to strip all colour overrides if something goes wrong.

But yes, the initial colouring of each component (part or sub assy) is done once manually.  Don't forget you have some great selection tools like constrained-to, sphere offset, window select etc.  These will help you quickly the apply initial colour overrides.

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report