Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Rotate and Free Move

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
RDG3PO
3127 Views, 9 Replies

Free Rotate and Free Move

Seriously now, are these not one of most useless commands in Inventor? On so many occasions do I just want to rotate an assembly or part about an axis a specific amount, and can't find a way to do so without deleting and re-dropping, or finding somthing to constrain it to, and delete the constraints. And there in my RMB flyout toolbar is Free Rotate and Free Move, moking me with their unfathomable uselessness. 

Am I missing something? Does someone use these commands for anything?

INVENTOR 2014 STANDARD
IOSX and PARALLELS
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: RDG3PO

Feel free to incorporate your ideas in the Inventor IdeaStation if you think you have better method.  Smiley Wink

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10
RDG3PO
in reply to: Cadmanto

Many thanks, CADMANTO, I'll use the link you provided. How often do these ideas ever get noticed or implemented?

INVENTOR 2014 STANDARD
IOSX and PARALLELS
Message 4 of 10
Cadmanto

No problem.  They get looked at constantly.  I have quite a few in there and some have been accepted.

Take a look through the site and there might be some in there you would like to see implimented.

The more kudo votes they get the better chance they have of being implimented.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 10
blair
in reply to: Cadmanto

These tools are designed for inspection of Constraints, especially the Free Move. It's primary function is to display which constraints affect the selected item in a IAM file. They are not there to move items around the assembly.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 10
jtylerbc

@RDG3PO wrote:

Am I missing something? Does someone use these commands for anything?

You're not missing much with regards to Free Rotate and Free Move, but you might want to look into the Grip Snap tool.  It might already be very close to what you would be posting as an idea.

Message 7 of 10
RDG3PO
in reply to: blair

@Blair wrote:
These tools are designed for inspection of Constraints, especially the Free Move. It's primary function is to display which constraints affect the selected item in a IAM file. They are not there to move items around the assembly.

Hey Blair, this diesn't make sense either. When I partially constrain a part in an assembly, I can select the part and drag it in it's free degrees of freedom without selecting a command in order to move it. Was this not always the case?

INVENTOR 2014 STANDARD
IOSX and PARALLELS
Message 8 of 10
RDG3PO
in reply to: jtylerbc

@jtylerbc wrote:
You're not missing much with regards to Free Rotate and Free Move, but you might want to look into the Grip Snap tool.  It might already be very close to what you would be posting as an idea.

Thanks for the lead, jtylerbc. I did find the grip snap tool and started to play with it, but it wasn't immediately clear how it works. I'm gonna have to do some reading, I hope you're right.

INVENTOR 2014 STANDARD
IOSX and PARALLELS
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

I find I use free rotate mainly when INV picks the 'other' way of interpreting an incompletely constrained relationship and moves a part to the wrong place (aligning a shaft with a hole springs to mind).  Free rotate allows me to swap the shaft around and the contraint will then snap on properly.

Message 10 of 10
cwhetten
in reply to: Anonymous

I use the free rotate tool in much the same way as spackle42.  I also use the free move tool when I need to temporarily move a component out of the way for better visibility (without messing with LODS or view reps, and without having to suppress or otherwise modify constraints).  Then when I am done, I just hit the update button and it resolves the constraints, and the component snaps back into its proper place.

These are not tools I use all the time, but when I need them, they come in pretty handy.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report