Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Grating Tread iPart For You!

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jeanchile
4618 Views, 9 Replies

Free Grating Tread iPart For You!

Okay so it's not free. I am actually looking for some help with my iPart file. This file is a model of a typical grating stair tread that is based off of Fisher-Ludlow's Tru-Weld grating tread. It has been configured with all of the standard options and sizes using the three bearing bar sizes that they recommend (others are available but I have only included the recommended three sizes). I am having the following issues related to a surface color that I am trying to attach to the nosing portion.

1.) Right now I have a checkered plate nosing color applied to the three faces that make up the nosing. I got these faces by splitting the faces of some extrusions (see model). Everything is fine on the default component version but when I change to another size/type the checkered plate pattern moves to a different face, why? (See the attached Screeshots please)

2.) Is there a way to change the color of specific faces using the iPart table? I would like to have one representation for the checkered plate nosing and one for the cast aluminum abrasive nosing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Inventor Professional
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: jeanchile

nice job, I'm using 2010 right now, so I can't open the file, but it looks good!

I think I ran into something similar in the past (not iParts), and ended up using Thicken/Offset to "build-up" a surface by a small amount, and then I applied the color to the Thicken/Offset feature. I'm not sure if that's the right solution here, but it may be something to investigate.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Here is our platform grating. We use a bmp for the grating. A lot small file size.

Message 4 of 10
jeanchile
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

... ended up using Thicken/Offset to "build-up" a surface by a small amount, and then I applied the color to the Thicken/Offset feature. 

This, like all of your suggestions, was an excellent idea. Unfortunately, this one failed in the same manner. However, the result may provide you smart people with some much needed diagnostic information. I used the Thicken command to attempt what you said but when I changed to a different version of the iPart not only did the color/pattern move to the other face but so did the "Thicken". It always seems to go to that same face (the top of the right hand end plate).

Thanks, as always, for the help. Any other things I might try?

P.S. I promise I'll post a working version here for eveyone if we can get it sorted out.

Inventor Professional
Message 5 of 10
jeanchile

Thank you for the reply Doug. Your version looks nice. I use something similar for the platform grating I sometimes show on my models. On this one I was looking for something that looked more realistic when I rendered it. The grating style I mentioned earlier sometimes looks a little weird for me. I also like my fabrication drawings to show the grating clearly. I'll have to test this when I'm done and see if it slows things down much.

Inventor Professional
Message 6 of 10
alewer

Try making a multibody part and apply color by body rather than face.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

@jeanchile wrote:
... failed in the same manner.

doh! Smiley Tongue

I guess it kind of makes sense that it if was swapping faces with the color that it would swap them with the thicken also, since it's based on the same face.

But I can't help but think that this is actually a bug causing this.

That's all I have for now. I imagine the solution will come in the form of a workaround that requires you to change the way you've modeled it, such as extruding the side rails as seperate features from the middle feature used for the grates, but that's just a guess since I can't see how you modeled it. I'm sure someone will come along and have a look in 2011 and give some feedback.

also as Doug mentioned, you might be able to make a considerably smaller file using a texture for the grate, but it's also nice to have a "real" model for sometimes in order to get accurate weights, etc.

Message 8 of 10
andrewiv

If you change your sketch for the nosing so that it is not perfectly in lin with the end plate then you can apply the texture to the feature instead of the faces.  I changed it so that the nosing is .0001 above and to the side of the end plate and it seems to work out fine.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 9 of 10
jeanchile
in reply to: alewer

@alewer wrote:

Try making a multibody part and apply color by body rather than face.

This suggestion worked perfectly. I am ashamed I didn't think of it myself Smiley Sad. I made the nosing extrusion a seperate body and set the color of the body in lieu of the faces.

Using this suggestion I was also able to create another nosing extrusion for the Cast Aluminum version and swap them out in the iPart table.

Everything is as it should be. Thank you all for your help but especially for alewer's winning submission... don't forget to pick your prize on your way out of the building.

Inventor Professional
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

@jeanchile wrote:
I am ashamed I didn't think of it myself.

lol, me too.

good job alewar!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report