Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Member Description Field not updating

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Mcadae
574 Views, 3 Replies

Frame Member Description Field not updating

I have a user that is creating frame work using custom members copied from the standard.  We have edited the frame members to use the company's part numbers and description and everything works fine.  The Parts List populates with the correct part number / stock number and description just fine.   I have customized the Part List style to display the stock number if one is available so that it shows correctly. 

The problem comes when changing the size of a frame member out.  Frame Generator creates a new file for that member and the Parts List displays the correct Stock number but the description still shows the original size's description not the one associated to the new member's size. 

I haven't tried it but I am sure that deleting the Parts List and reinserting might fix the problem but there are other lines in the Parts List that have Static overrides and the user would have to redo all that.  Why does the PN/Stock Number update correctly but the Description does not?

Erik Kurek
Project Manager
erik.kurek@xyleminc.com
Xylem Inc.
Dell Precision T3500
Xeon 2.13GHz - Windows XP sp3
3GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX 580

Erik J. Kurek
MCADAE, ICE, MICE
Manufacturing SME
Inventor 2013

Dell Precision WorkStation T3500
Bus Clock: 4800 megahertz
2.40 gigahertz Intel Xeon
8192 Megabytes Installed Memory
Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
WAYNE_HOUWD
in reply to: Mcadae

Hi,

I have got the similar issue from Inventor 2012.

Attatched is the screen printing-

1st page -

KKK_05.ipt (AREA 1) is the file P/N, but the file description is shown as C Channnel.ipt (AREA 2); AREA 3 reflects the same info as AREA 2. On this page, I can manually change AREA 2 into KKK_05.ipt, then AREA 3 will change to KKK_05 accordingly.

2nd page-

This is a screen printing from the assembly file. KKK_05 (AREA 5) is shown from IProperties, but the browser comes with C Channel (AREA 4) . If update from the 1st page part, then AREA 4 will update automatically.

The question is how we are going to make the description and the Part Number consistent automatically? It will give us lots of trouble if we change them manually. I don't think manual updating request is from the Inventor Design point.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 4
pauldoubet

Eric,

Post a screen capture so I can see exactly what you are trying to do. I have done extensive work with CC parts and I suspect you may need a little guidance on how to map your CC fields or setup the custom CC so this does not happen.

Paul

Message 4 of 4
brendan.henderson

From memory this is a bug, and again from memory there was a patch released for it but it did not fix my 3 of Inv2011 installs. So I added content to our Inventor Policy Document about how to get around this problem so that the user can take steps to ensure the BOM data is correct. Hope it helps :-

#######################

Occasionally you may want to change a member used in an FG assembly. Best practice is to delete the frame member and replace it. Do not just delete the member. Delete it by using DELETE WITH FRAME GENERATOR command by doing a right click on FG member and then making the Delete with FG. This then removes the item from the BOM. It is possible to do an EDIT WITH FRAME GENERATOR which works, but there are occasions when this approach still leaves the STOCK NUMBER of the previous member in the BOM, and other times when the STOCK NUMBER changes but the DESCRIPTIOn remains the same. Either way the wrog information is displayed in the BOM.

#######################

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report