Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
mark-j-a
Message 1 of 16 (534 Views)

Frame Generator: When Changing Member Type does not update all iProperties

534 Views, 15 Replies
11-25-2009 03:57 AM
During some discussion with other uses of Inventor I was ask if I knew about a problem relating to Changing a member size in Frame Generator and the iProperties maintain the old members properties.

The basic problem is as follows:-

You start with a simple frame, create all of the members save and then added to a drawing. The members frame come from the content centre which have been copied into a Custom Library to enable addition parameters to be added along with addition iproperties being automated such as DESCRIPTION.

Once the frame and associated members have been created and then save, if a user wants to change the size of the member inventor has to create a new part file and then inserts into the frame generator frame. However, I have found that if you review the iProperties of the new file the DESCRIPTION is the same as the one that was replace, however it was strange to see that the STOCKNUMBER and PART NUMBER was updated correctly. It seems to be only a problem with the DESCRIPTION property.

Has anyone else come across this problem, and what is the solution to the problem as I consider this to a fundamental problem with the operation of Framegenerator.

Mark

Mark
*Dennis Jeffrey
Message 2 of 16 (534 Views)

Re: Frame Generator: When Changing Member Type does not update all iProperties

11-25-2009 06:51 AM in reply to: mark-j-a
See the post before yours . Content Center replace part, does just that.
If you "customized" the FG part properties it will no longer be there
when a NEW part replaces the old. The NEW description, stocknumber, and
part number all come from the new replacement part, referencing the
family table in CC.
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
http://teknigroup.com
Active Contributor
mark-j-a
Message 3 of 16 (534 Views)

11-25-2009 01:55 PM in reply to: mark-j-a
Dennis,

Thanks for response, however I think that there maybe some confusion.

The problem is that the family properties of the replacement part being overriden by the old part it is replacing. For instance if you original have say 250UC in your Frame and want to change it to a 150UC, the description of the new part should read 150UC, but it doesn't it reads 250UC. The problem only seems to occur with the description all other fields are updating OK.

Mark
Mentor
PACDrafting
Message 4 of 16 (535 Views)

11-25-2009 01:58 PM in reply to: mark-j-a
And its only happening with FG.

Placing a CC part manually and then changing the size works fine.
*Blair Stunder
Message 5 of 16 (536 Views)

11-25-2009 02:50 PM in reply to: mark-j-a
Are you using the change member function within the FG or manually changing
the item

--
IV2010-Pro-sp1
Vista Business 64bit Sp2
Core i7 950 @ 3.07Ghz
12Gb DDR3-1600, 4 x 60 Gb SSD - RAID0
Quadro FX3800 - 191.00
SpacePilot 3.8.1 / 6.8.1
AVG8.5
"paul.coleman" wrote in message news:6295448@discussion.autodesk.com...
And its only happening with FG.

Placing a CC part manually and then changing the size works fine.
Mentor
PACDrafting
Message 6 of 16 (537 Views)

11-25-2009 02:51 PM in reply to: mark-j-a
Using the FG change item.
Valued Mentor
jeanchile
Message 7 of 16 (415 Views)

02-20-2011 07:29 AM in reply to: PACDrafting

Resurrecting another old post here. Same issue on my end. Has anyone seen a resolution to this? I need my description field to change when I change members in FG. Seems like a logical request to me so I imagine I am missing something?

Inventor Professional 2013 (SP-2.3), Product Design Suite Ultimate
Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.4GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate SP-1, 64-bit OS, (2) GeForce GTX 580 (331.81), Space Pilot Pro (3.16.1)
Laptop: Intel Core i7 3.9GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP-1, 64-bit OS, GeForce GTX 780 (331.81), SpaceNavigator (3.17.7)
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 8 of 16 (368 Views)

02-21-2011 06:30 AM in reply to: jeanchile

Question: Where does the description property get it's value?  Have you added the description field to your CC family table, or is it pulling it from somewhere else?  I will have to test this, but I believe that if you have a description field in your family table, it will update properly.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cadtipstricks.wordpress.com//

Valued Mentor
jeanchile
Message 9 of 16 (365 Views)

02-21-2011 06:35 AM in reply to: cbenner

Sorry about that. I should have been more descriptive... I know better, hence my history of ridiculously long posts. I have a description column that I added and mapped to the proper iProp. I added the column by editing the family table, then I opened the table through Excel and used a formula to get the description contents. Perhaps I should try making it a static value in Excel? Any other thoughts/ideas? Thanks for the help!

Inventor Professional 2013 (SP-2.3), Product Design Suite Ultimate
Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.4GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate SP-1, 64-bit OS, (2) GeForce GTX 580 (331.81), Space Pilot Pro (3.16.1)
Laptop: Intel Core i7 3.9GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP-1, 64-bit OS, GeForce GTX 780 (331.81), SpaceNavigator (3.17.7)
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 10 of 16 (363 Views)

02-21-2011 06:41 AM in reply to: jeanchile

I've never tried making a formula in Excel transfer to the family table, however, i have done formulas IN the family table, and hed them work just fine after changing parts.  That said, my formula column is not the Description column... it is part number.... whole different story...

My descriptions come directly from the filename column, which I have filled with a static value that I hand entered... it took forever but I got exactly what I wanted.  So far I'm not aware of any problems with them not updating when I change member sizes.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cadtipstricks.wordpress.com//

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.