Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator: When Changing Member Type does not update all iProperties

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
mark-j-a
919 Views, 15 Replies

Frame Generator: When Changing Member Type does not update all iProperties

During some discussion with other uses of Inventor I was ask if I knew about a problem relating to Changing a member size in Frame Generator and the iProperties maintain the old members properties.

The basic problem is as follows:-

You start with a simple frame, create all of the members save and then added to a drawing. The members frame come from the content centre which have been copied into a Custom Library to enable addition parameters to be added along with addition iproperties being automated such as DESCRIPTION.

Once the frame and associated members have been created and then save, if a user wants to change the size of the member inventor has to create a new part file and then inserts into the frame generator frame. However, I have found that if you review the iProperties of the new file the DESCRIPTION is the same as the one that was replace, however it was strange to see that the STOCKNUMBER and PART NUMBER was updated correctly. It seems to be only a problem with the DESCRIPTION property.

Has anyone else come across this problem, and what is the solution to the problem as I consider this to a fundamental problem with the operation of Framegenerator.

Mark

Mark
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: mark-j-a

See the post before yours . Content Center replace part, does just that.
If you "customized" the FG part properties it will no longer be there
when a NEW part replaces the old. The NEW description, stocknumber, and
part number all come from the new replacement part, referencing the
family table in CC.
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
http://teknigroup.com
Message 3 of 16
mark-j-a

Dennis,

Thanks for response, however I think that there maybe some confusion.

The problem is that the family properties of the replacement part being overriden by the old part it is replacing. For instance if you original have say 250UC in your Frame and want to change it to a 150UC, the description of the new part should read 150UC, but it doesn't it reads 250UC. The problem only seems to occur with the description all other fields are updating OK.

Mark
Message 4 of 16
PACDrafting

And its only happening with FG.

Placing a CC part manually and then changing the size works fine.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Are you using the change member function within the FG or manually changing
the item

--
IV2010-Pro-sp1
Vista Business 64bit Sp2
Core i7 950 @ 3.07Ghz
12Gb DDR3-1600, 4 x 60 Gb SSD - RAID0
Quadro FX3800 - 191.00
SpacePilot 3.8.1 / 6.8.1
AVG8.5
"paul.coleman" wrote in message news:6295448@discussion.autodesk.com...
And its only happening with FG.

Placing a CC part manually and then changing the size works fine.
Message 6 of 16
PACDrafting

Using the FG change item.
Message 7 of 16
jeanchile
in reply to: PACDrafting

Resurrecting another old post here. Same issue on my end. Has anyone seen a resolution to this? I need my description field to change when I change members in FG. Seems like a logical request to me so I imagine I am missing something?

Inventor Professional
Message 8 of 16
cbenner
in reply to: jeanchile

Question: Where does the description property get it's value?  Have you added the description field to your CC family table, or is it pulling it from somewhere else?  I will have to test this, but I believe that if you have a description field in your family table, it will update properly.

Message 9 of 16
jeanchile
in reply to: cbenner

Sorry about that. I should have been more descriptive... I know better, hence my history of ridiculously long posts. I have a description column that I added and mapped to the proper iProp. I added the column by editing the family table, then I opened the table through Excel and used a formula to get the description contents. Perhaps I should try making it a static value in Excel? Any other thoughts/ideas? Thanks for the help!

Inventor Professional
Message 10 of 16
cbenner

I've never tried making a formula in Excel transfer to the family table, however, i have done formulas IN the family table, and hed them work just fine after changing parts.  That said, my formula column is not the Description column... it is part number.... whole different story...

My descriptions come directly from the filename column, which I have filled with a static value that I hand entered... it took forever but I got exactly what I wanted.  So far I'm not aware of any problems with them not updating when I change member sizes.

Message 11 of 16
mikebelter

I had logged a support request on this to get a direct answer from Autodesk in Oct 2010. They advised that there was no "fix" for it at that time.

Though Chris Benner's solution looks promising and worth a try.

Thanks,

Mike

Message 12 of 16
cbenner
in reply to: mikebelter

We have done some research into this on our end, and I am sad to report that the same thing is happening here.  We have the "Filename" column mapped to Project. Description in the content center library, and when you place a steel member, the Description comes through as expected.  But if we go in later to change size on that member using the Frame generator's "Edit With.." command, the description does not update.

This sounds to me like a very reproduceable problem, since so many of us have been burned by this.  I would politely ask Autodesk to PLEASE look into this further.

Message 13 of 16
cbenner

More info:

I've been messing with this problem all afternoon.  I found that if you change the steel shape altogether, (ie channel to angle), the description column updates with the new part.  But simply changing sizes within a profile family it does not.  I have tried manually entering text, manually deleting the description text, nothing makes it work.  All other iproperties that are pulled into Frame Generator through the CC family table update as expected when a part is edited or the size changed.  Part Number, Stock Number, etc.

Sorry, I can't figure this one out.  AD, I leave this one up to you.

Message 14 of 16
jeanchile

This is a bummer. I can't make anything work either. Sounds like we've exhausted all of the possibilities. There are so many posts on this board about frame generator being a joke and I didn't understand why. Most of them were old and I figured the issues had been fixed but I guess not. I am starting to see their reasoning. Yet another unfinished tool from AD in the toolbox I guess.

Inventor Professional
Message 15 of 16
mbodnar

Hi

I am experiencing the same issue described by others on this topic and only happens on the column Description, looks like a bug to me. I have found that if you delete the FG member, then place it again, the new correct Description appears so short term solution is dont use Edit with Frame Generator.

It's a shame because if you have 2D notes and dimensions associated with these members, deleting them will probably delete those items as well. Makes sense for the Edit with FG to be fixed and working as it should. Also deleting and re-insertin the FG components will take slightly longer than editing.

Max B

Message 16 of 16
A_Harro
in reply to: mikebelter

As i type this i can say we have just upgraded from inv 2010 to 2014 and to my surprise (actually lack of surprise) this is still an issue.

Changing the Member size does not update the Description of the part! . This has been a problem for such a long time, can it please be fixed??  , Oh by the way, if it actually has been fixed, please let me know where the patch is? I just installed Sp1 and its not in that one. !!

Beyond frustrated over this, its very disapointing 😞

Anne

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report