Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator Sketching questions

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ryanholley2786
369 Views, 6 Replies

Frame Generator Sketching questions

I have 2 frame members that are the exact same, however frame generator creates two part numbers for the parts in the assembly. We are trying to reuse parts where applicable and do not want two part numbers for the same member. Does anyone know if there is a way to get around this? Also in the same assembly I brought in another sketch and wanted a seperate frame generated. Frame generator added the second sketch/frame to the first. I desire to use frame generator multiple times in the same assembly and have multiple frames that are not automatically constrained to one another. I tried to attach a picture but it was too large, sorry.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
stevec781
in reply to: ryanholley2786

You can only have 1 frame set in an assembly. You need to break into sub assemblies to have multiple sets of frame members in your model. Also you can only trim/extend to faces of parts in the same assembly. So it takes a bit of planning to get it right.

For part numbers and grouping I write a formula in the BOM in the part number field that includes the stock type and length. ie =-. I just copy this into all cells for frame members in part only view.

That way IV will group all items with the same part number. So my part numbers look like 25x25x3 Angle - 500mm. IV will rollup all 25x25x3 angles that are 500mm long and give the correct quantity in the parts list. It rolls up on part number which is why you have to fudge the part number field.

I usually over ride every part number either manually or with a formula that can be copied to multiple cells. Its painfull but that's the way it works.

Hope that makes sense.
Message 3 of 7

For part numbers and grouping I write a formula in the BOM in the part number field that includes the stock type and length. ie =-.

I don't quite under stand the formula part of your statement. Could you elaborate please?

Thanks,

Ryan

IV 2009
Message 4 of 7
stevec781

Probably best described with a picture, see attached Edited by: stevec781 on Jan 15, 2010 5:33 PM
Message 5 of 7
pcrawley

You might like this video. It's (possibly) a better solution because it groups identical items by stock number and mass - therefore even a small hole drilled in one part will make it different to other similar section/length parts.

If you choose the correct columns for your "Parts List", you can now show the "number-off" where parts are identical - plus the cut length - plus the total length of stock etc.

This item counting thing is one area of FG that's bugged me since it's creation. Only figured this grouping thing out yesterday 🙂

[ Screencast|http://screencast.com/t/NWU4MmNlZ]
The first 40 seconds just demonstrates the problem.

(You would probably leave the renaming of the "Part Number" until the last minute because if you do what I did in the video (Long bits, short bits etc) then you drill one part - the item grouping won't update because it's reading "Long bits" & "Short bits", not stock+mass.)
Peter
Message 6 of 7
stevec781

Nice !!

I like the way using mass allows parts with holes but same length to be seperated out.
Message 7 of 7
pcrawley

🙂 Glad you like it.

Can't believe it's taken me 3 years to figure it out!
I also just realised that mitre angles are included as custom iProperties. Need to add that to the cutting list too!
Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report