Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator Question

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
rkirk77
1215 Views, 3 Replies

Frame Generator Question

Hi Guys, 

I am using Frame Generator to make this airframe for a Pietenpol Air Camper.  I am having a bit of a problem when i comes to the bottom bow and cannot square up the bottom piece of wood (1" x 15/16").

This also promts me to ask another question.. why can I not use a 1 x 1 piece of wood in Frame Generator? It it the ANSI standard that limits it?

What am I missing?

Thanks again!

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Intel i7 870 @ 2.93 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 580 GTX 1536MB GDDR5
8 GB Ram
250GB HDD
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JavaLodge
in reply to: rkirk77

Once you place your vertical member on the left most line, you can use the Trim/Extend tool to square off that face to the next member.

As for the 1x1 wood, I'm guessing there's just not a lot of common wood shapes in the frame generator. I tried making a 2x4 frame the other day and had to end up using 2x4 rectangular tubing with a wood texture. It looked pretty silly, but I don't know how to add my own shapes to the frame generator. I know that it's possible, and it shouldn't take much searching to find a tutorial for that. Good luck, I hope this helps.
in reply to: JavaLodge

@JavaLodge wrote:
Once you place your vertical member on the left most line, you can use the Trim/Extend tool to square off that face to the next member.

As for the 1x1 wood, I'm guessing there's just not a lot of common wood shapes in the frame generator. I tried making a 2x4 frame the other day and had to end up using 2x4 rectangular tubing with a wood texture. It looked pretty silly, but I don't know how to add my own shapes to the frame generator. I know that it's possible, and it shouldn't take much searching to find a tutorial for that. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Don't forget that Dimensional lumber is undersized.  2x4s are 1 1/2" x 3 1/2".  This may affect your member lengths.  See the dimensional lumber section of this wikipedia page:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumber#Dimensional_lumber

As for making your own frame generator profiles try:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-D78D9AEB-0DE4-471C-ADBC-543669BEDB71

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOwR89pA_e8

I have never made a custom profile, so I can't say if these two links will help much...

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 4
JavaLodge
in reply to: swalton

Oh wow, thanks for catching that for me. Somewhere in the back of my head I knew that, and I had it in mind when making the frame but I didn't even think of how it would change some of the lengths. Thanks! Good thing I haven't started construction yet 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report