Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator parts showing incorrect length using {B_L} expression parameter.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jyager
1305 Views, 3 Replies

Frame Generator parts showing incorrect length using {B_L} expression parameter.

I commented on this elsewhere but it's probably more appropriate on its own.

I made a quick frame generated frame (I also randomly plunked a couple members in not associated with the frame) and for some reason the length in the description which is linked to the {B_L} expression shows up for 12" or 0.001" (depending on the image I treid two separate .IAM files) on everything???

If you look at the base qty value or even the part name length value it shows the correct lengths of the two different tubes, neither of which is actually 12". And yes the value in the part number expression is {B_L} also.

I just checked using the bolted connection generator....it shows correct lengths of bolts (which I also customized) in my custom BOM column. So it has to be something in Frame generator.

This is pretty cumbersome.

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
LT.Rusty
in reply to: jyager

Oh!  Oh oh oh oh!  I just finally remembered what the issue is here.

Use G_L, not B_L.

B_L is base length, and it is inserted based on the B_L that is generated by the table.  G_L is the length of the piece of steel after all modifications are done to it - miters, notches, etc.  G_L will equal B_L to start off, and then modifications later will adjust it.  So, B_L in the table is usually going to be .001.  When you do PLACE FROM CONTENT CENTER you manually enter a value to replace B_L, so that's why your part numbers come out right.  When you insert from Frame Generator, B_L is never looked at - only G_L.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
jyager
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Little things like that get you all tied up....thanks!!

I'm going to the tavern now!

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
Message 4 of 4
P_Korgaonkar
in reply to: jyager

Hello All.

For me, it is not working.

I have tried both B_L and G_L. If added to Description column does not work.

Shows correct length in Part number column using the same parameter.

Please look at the link below

Regards

Parag

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/frame-generator-elements-automatic-part-number/m-p/843...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report