Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator Miter Cut with Gap Eliminates Custom Frame Features

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
petestrycharske
405 Views, 1 Reply

Frame Generator Miter Cut with Gap Eliminates Custom Frame Features

All,

I have been working to build an assembly using frame generator, but have run into an interesting snag.  When I publish my custom frame part, there are two different versions (managed with an iPart table), one with a little alignment leg and another without one.  At the base of my assembly, I choose the versions of the frame that have the legs and can position them as desired. 

However, when I try to apply a miter cut with a welding gap, the alignment leg disappears on one of the frame members.  At first I had modeled the leg on a sketch offset from the square end of the frame member.  Next, I had modeled the leg from a mid plane sketch, while referencing the square end of the part.  Finally, I modeled the leg from a mid plane sketch with all new geometry.  I have even tried changing the order in which the members are selected, but none of this seems to make any difference. 

Can anyone please let me know if I have modeled something incorrectly?  Would appreciate any advice at this point.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Original Frame Configuration.png

The Original Frame Configuration

Miter Selections.png

Miter Cut Selections

Missing the Leg.png

Miter with Gap Eliminates the Leg

No Gap Miter Works.png

Miter with No Gap Works Fine

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
theo.bot
in reply to: petestrycharske

A Classic one.  Remember inventor is historic features based, so you need to reference to geometry that exists in your or every situation.

You have defined a workplane from a side face. But after using mitter the side face is changing.

To get is stable use in parametric library part planes that always exist. use the orgin planes as definition.

I redefined your workplane, publised to CC and tested it, it works fine.

succes

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report