Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame generator issues

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
BarryZA
415 Views, 7 Replies

Frame generator issues

Greetings all, please forgive the vague nature of my problem, and lack of attached (proprietary) file.

I have just joined a project that is pretty close to completion, so I am working with models that are not mine.

About 50% of the assembly/sub-assemblies are from frame generator.

Sometimes when you open a model/assembly the frame members seem to blow apart, moving off the reference sketch I presume.

The other issue is the projected holes onto frame generator members in the assembly. For example holes drilled for staircase handrail uprights. The uprights will blow apart, sometimes the projected holes stay, sometimes they shift. Including component patterns.

I know this is a very non-specific question, but perhaps there are some who know the specifics of frame generator. Maybe it prefers cetain workflows for a more robust model.

Using substitute levels of detail, is this a good or bad idea? Is it better to only use FG in an assembly, and then add that assembly to a new assembly to add the rest of the parts?

Inv 2013.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Cadmanto
in reply to: BarryZA

Barry,

It is difficult like you said without files and images, but I will give this a shot.

It almost sounds as though the frame pieces were not inserted using FG, but rather directly out of the CC and the contraints were lost.  This would lead to why the holes are shifting.

As far as levels of detail, I am not a huge fan of LOD's.  When I have the choice I lean more towards creating factory files (iparts and iassemblies) or maybe even view reps.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 8
blair
in reply to: Cadmanto

In addition to Scott's reply, LOD's are primarly used for memory management (back before 64 bit O/S) and were introduced to reduce the memory footprint of the model. View-Reps are a better way to go. Being said, proper model techniques should not be causing your model to fly apart regardless of what method you use. Too much use of Adaptive may cause model instability but only when to many items rely on other items.

We tend to keep our Frame-Gen to just items only items inserted via the F-G model. This is much easier down the road for BOM's and entering items for our ERP system.

I would look for any unconstrained sketches in the F-G enviroment.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 8
BarryZA
in reply to: blair

Memory management is an issue in this case, the main assembly is running at over 27 000 files.

I think you are on to something with the adaptivity blair. I have noticed quite a few of those little symbols in the browser.

I don't have much experience with adaptivity. Usually I derive and use the derived surfaces for reference. My understanding is that adaptivity is only used with purposely underconstrained sketches, and parts can still be "adaptive" so long as they are referencing existing geometry.

Message 5 of 8
Cadmanto

Barry,

This link might help you better understandad adaptivity. with you having this issue and do a fair amount of derived parts, tou might want to start think about creating skeleton assembly templates and part templates.  This might eliminate you having to use so many existing surfaces.

http://www.widom-assoc.com/AU-MA34-1.pdf

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: Cadmanto

Sometimes when FG exhibits this behavior, a good old fashioned "Rebuild All", at the correct sub-assembly level will put it back to right.  The question is know at which level to perform this.  It can be a matter of trial and error until you hit the right one.  In the worst cases, I have had to remove and replace frame members when things have gone so far that all of it's references are lost.

Message 7 of 8
blair

I make every effort to clear adaptivity as soon as possible. It will also speed up your model as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 8
BarryZA
in reply to: blair

Thank-you all. I really think this is in the right direction. You've given me something to start with and I'm sure the solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report