Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator - Inaccurate insertion point error??

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jdmech
346 Views, 4 Replies

Frame Generator - Inaccurate insertion point error??

Not sure how this one got started in my machine - 

I've been using Frame Generator for at least 4 years and have not 

seen this issue before. Maybe I "bumped" a setting somewhere or a number changed

in a default setting somehow, but lately when I insert a square tube frame piece into an assembly,

it seems to be not accurate in it's placement.

Example: If I make a simple cube part that measures 28.0" wide and

Insert some frame generated square tubing on the edges of the cube, the frame measures 27.999999992 in - slightly off from where I inserted it. This seems to repeat without fail in every new assembly.

Any thoughts folks???

Thanks & regards - JD

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: jdmech

8 Billionth is not much, I would check the members (HSS) themselves for correct dimensions. Possibly check the placement that you don't have a small offset for the placement in F-G. It could be hidden behind all the zero's. 

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
jdmech
in reply to: blair

Thanks so much for your super quick reply! -
Yeah - I don't know about this one. I even checked the FG parameter mapping defaults but everything looks fine. Every frame member - from different standards and families - ANSI, ANFOR, etc. - seem to have the same exact amount of placement error - 0.000000004 in.
I think it may be time for a "nuclear" solution - reinstall or repair - UGH!!!
Message 4 of 5
blair

Maybe try publishing a custom F-G shape and see if the problem persists. I am beginning to wonder if it's possibly in the rounding/conversion from metric to imperial as well. That'a a lot of zero's after the decimal point.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 5
jdmech

Adding another thought to this thread for consideration.

I just called a buddy and, over the phone, had him try the same thing on his laptop w/ Inv Pro 2013 installed.

It did the exact same thing - gave wierd inaccurate results for the final frame dimensions.

Now, of course I realize that this tiny error in the real world is nothing, especially with a welded assembly and a mig welder. However it seems to be playing hell with my shrinkwrapped or derived assembly files. I use those for keeping large welded assemblies light weight when trying to simulate moving parts.

I hope someone else has seen this small but annoying issue and has a solution.

tube error.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report