Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator help

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dunc1n
347 Views, 4 Replies

Frame Generator help

Hey folks, got a quick question about Frame Generator...

When I make a part in Frame Generator, by default it will name the part a big lengthy name like "frame 000001 etc etc". Is there any way that I can change the default naming system and include parameters in the name (the parameters is not necessary, but would be useful).

ALSO, if I name 2 parts the same name will it show up as "QTY 2" in my parts list? ( I think it should).

Thanks in advance guys

Dunc1n

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: dunc1n

Short answer is no.  Frame Generator default file names are system controlled, however you can modify the filename as the parts are being placed in your frame.  From there you can name it whatever you want. I generally tent to add the job number to each one as a prefix.

As far as naming two parts the same, you can't do that as they are separate files in your workspace or hard drive.  You can give them the same part number and description, however, and they should show up as a quantity in your BOM.  Those can be controlled by editing the family table in the Content Center.

Message 3 of 5
dunc1n
in reply to: cbenner

yeah thats what I thought. Thanks.

How do I edit the family table within content center?

Thanks again

Message 4 of 5
cbenner

Manage Tab \ Editor.  The CC family will need to first be copied to a custom library.  If you're just using the standars out of the box Content Center, you cannot edit it.  Find the family in question, right click and choose Save Copy As.  It will ask you to select a library to copy it too... You can name it whatever you want, but select Independant Family so you can edit it free of the original.  Once it is created, select it in the window and righ click, choose Edit Famkily Table.  You can edit table values, add colums, add members, etc.  The filename column is misleading, this only works when you place a member form the CC directly,... not with FG.

Hope this is clear as mud.

Message 5 of 5
RobJV

To control the qty, simply give them the same part number which they should have by default (most of the time).  They will then be rolled up and the qty will be correct.

Extra: Also a good idea to have the part number get populated by stock number in your partslist to avoid ugly looking part nunbers in your partslist.  Simply have the parts number get replaced by stock number when exists.  (This is done in your partslist (drawing) template.)

In your bom, you can use =<Stock Number> - <G_L> - <mass> as your part numbers for these types of parts.  (Just be aware that sometimes the mass is different for parts that should be exactly the same in FG.)

I know this is lots of extra but hope it helps you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report