Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator Freezes

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
ColinReeve
1629 Views, 17 Replies

Frame Generator Freezes

Hi,

For some reason my frame generator does not work after an OK/apply. I've checked the previous posts of this kind and its not a case of the next dialog being off screen.

I've attached the simple test files. Its a rectangle 1000mm x 1000mm. If I select Design-Insert frame, then Standard-DIN, Family U Shape, Size U 100, Material Aluminium. I leave both the check boxes ticked and select all four lines, which shows the preview correct. If I hit OK or Apply at this stage I get the Create New Frame dialog box, clicking OK proceeds to the Frame Member Naming, clicking OK leaves Inventor Frozen, with the only change on the screen is the bottom left tip of "Loading Presentation..."

I have a feeling its the way the I have Inventor configured, as I had a similar problem loading IDW's, and for some reason it didn't like having the template folder pointing to something other than the default Inventor Template folder. My Documents folder is auto backed up to a cloud, so I always try keep everything inside that, but templates was not happy with that. It seems maybe it doesn't like the location of my CC folder?

Anyway any tips much appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Thanks for the files. I am working on your issue. Can you please provide us your Inventor version and the service pack level as well. It would be more useful while troubleshooting this issue.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 3 of 18

The Inventor version is 2014 x64. I have installed this service pack;

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-in...

If I try and install Service pack 2 I get the error "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgfraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program....."

Message 4 of 18

Thanks Colin for the update. I have tested the workflow and it doesn't crash at my end. Can you check the following.

Try to change the graphic hardware setting in Application options.

Go to application options - Hardware tab - Change it compatibility view and check whether your inventor still freezes with FG.

You can also check whether you have a certified graphic card driver for Inventor. You can download one from the link below,

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534

Hope it helps. Let me know if the issue persists.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 5 of 18

My graphics card is an Nvidia Quatro 1000M. It used to be listed as a Autodesk recommended graphics card, which was the whole reason behind the purchase, mind you that was with the 2012 release 1.5yrs ago now. The FG used to work in 2012, 2013, and its been sometime since I used it. This is the first time to try in V2014. However the long and short of it is that compatibility view worked. Very frustrating, but thank you none the less.

Message 6 of 18
toger
in reply to: ColinReeve

I have the same issue.

I ugraded to latest service pack.

Updated to latest display driver and change to compatibility mode.....

I still have the issue.

FG used to work fine and on a big frame I wanted to generate it stopped working.

I have to close Inventor with task manager to get going again.

I am ready to give up on inventor.....

Message 7 of 18
ColinReeve
in reply to: toger

What version of Inventor are you using? I've had the FG freeze on 2013, and 2014. Not on 2015....as yet. Both solutions were different, although you have seen how I got 2014 running from above details.

As a note, 2014 does not like you using old template files. So if you had copied your own templates over from an old install, then it can freeze on loading. It did this with both IDW's and FG's.

Also you the content centre has to be sorted out in some instances....which I don't have the details at hand.

Want to post the ipt,iam file with the frame in it?

Message 8 of 18
toger

I'm using Inventor 2014.

I am not using any old templates.

Attached is a simple assembly I am trying to use FG with.

Message 9 of 18
johnsonshiue

Colin,

I am sorry to hear the trouble you are having. I would like to understand the issue better. I personally am not aware of graphics issues affecting Frame Generator. Do you mind recording a video to show the behavior? You mentioned that changing Hardware option to Compatibility solves the problem. Does it help in other workflows also?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi! The issue you are having seems to be different from Colin's, because changing Hardware option does not help in your case. Colin's issue seems to be graphics related but I need more information to tell.

Is your issue specific to FG or it happens to most workflows you try in other areas?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 18
toger
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I only seem to have the problem with FG.

It only happens once I select "OK" or "APPLY".

I can see the preview and outlines of the frame.

Once I click I have to close Inventor with "Windows Task Manager"

Message 12 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi! Could you take a snapshot of the followings and post it here or (send it to me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

1. Go to Tools -> Applicaiton Options -> Files

2. Tools -> Application Options -> Content Center

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 18
toger

Hi

I have attached screen prints of the "File" and "Content Center" as reqeusted.

Regards

Message 14 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi! Comparing the settings shown in the snapshots with the ones on my machine, the only difference is yours has "Refresh out-of-date standard parts during placement" option checked in Content Center tab in Application Options.

Could you uncheck it (and click OK) and see if it makes a difference?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 18
toger

I have unchecked the "Refresh out-of-date standard parts during placement"

I still have the same problem !Smiley Sad

Message 16 of 18
johnsonshiue

Hi! Could you take a snapshot of the project settings for your active project and send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 18

Hi,

Good day to you.

Just wanted to check with you for an update. Please let us know, if you need further assistance.

We will be glad to assist you further.

Your understanding and support is greatly appreciated. Have a great day !

Thanks,
Vinod.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 18 of 18

I had this EXACT issue. My solution was a combination of many issues of switching to a high res dual monitor system. Basically after the frame was selected, the box displaying the frame members was hidden under my task bar (another fun issue to resolve - ALT+SPACE then move), so I thought it had frozen. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report