Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator - Custom Property Format Display when Replacing Members

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
479 Views, 12 Replies

Frame Generator - Custom Property Format Display when Replacing Members

hi, i have my content center parts customized so that when i insert them using frame generator or into an assembly they have <G_L> configured so that the 'custom property display' format is set to 'fractional - 1/16'. this works fine.

however, when i replace a member in a frame generator assembly to a different family type (i.e. changing from HSS to angle), then the new member comes in with <G_L> defaulted to display as decimal. if i change the size of the frame generator part within the same family (i.e. change from HSS 3x3x1/4 to HSS 3x3x3/16) <G_L> still displays correctly.

if i do a similar operation in an assembly (not in frame generator) and select 'replace from content center', the new member always has the correct <G_L> display property, regardless of if i change the member size within the same family or change the member type altogether.

does anyone have any insight into this?

thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

5 years and no one has the answer for this.

I have the same problem and looking so solution why frame generator member starts out with fractional 1/6" setting and any move in frame generator change it to decimal. This is a very strange thing. I have been searching around to see if there is a solution to work around or a fix for this bug from Autodesk. No answer.

Right now we spent a lot of time just to fix the decimal to fraction manually.

The weird thing is same angle member in the assembly 2 out of 8 has decimal the other 6 has fractional.

And they keep jumping around if you make a change to skeleton model.

Please help Autodesk or anyone out there know why.

Thanks

Message 3 of 13
jtylerbc

It may not be exactly the same problem, but I'm going to explain this just in case it has the same solution.  Starting in version 2015 or 2016, I started noticing a similar issue with fractional custom properties on Content Center parts reverting to decimal.  I did not notice (that I remember, anyway) any correlation with whether or not FG was involved.  I'm pretty sure my version of the issue happened whether the part was FG-placed or not.

My custom Content Center families already included at least one parameter/custom iProperty that I had created (rather than it being an Autodesk default).  I noticed that the problem never occurred on that property - only the default Autodesk ones did it.

My workaround was to create my own parameters, set them equal to the Autodesk ones, and apply the custom formatting to mine instead.  This is obviously silly, but has worked properly ever since.  I have had no need to revisit it, so I don't actually know whether or not the problem still exists.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: jtylerbc

We use the default G_L parameter from Autodesk and when I custom / modified the existing content I have made a template file and set the G_L to fractional 1/16" and use this template on most of the content parts that get used in F.G

They work fine but they move to decimal some time not all the time or all the parts. This is what drives me crazy.

If I full this content part direct to my assembly then custom or save the part in the library and the G_L come out fractional and it stays that way. But for F.G when you created the member it comes out fractional but if you need to add trim/milter or short length then it may jump to decimal.

I just want to get to bottom of this matter and I am wondering where all the Autodesk engineer is.

Thanks

See the picture

Message 5 of 13
jtylerbc

Yeah, that's similar enough that I think my workaround would get it functioning for you, if you can't get a real fix from Autodesk.

Obviously getting them to fix it would be the ideal thing, but sometimes you've just got to do what it takes to keep work going.

@Anonymous wrote:

I just want to get to bottom of this matter and I am wondering where all the Autodesk engineer is.

Autodesk employees do post here.  But I would point out that this is primarily a user forum, so posting here isn't a guarantee that an Autodesk employee will see this particular thread.  If it's a serious problem, you may want to also file a support case through your Autodesk account.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Message 7 of 13
jtylerbc

For now, it's the only way I know to fix it. 

In the screenshot below, note the four User Parameters highlighted in yellow.  The first, LENGTH_DESC, was the previously existing parameter that clued me in to the problem.  This rule's value is determined from an iLogic rule, and I use it instead of G_L to specify the length.

Since I don't use G_L, I actually originally saw the problem on other dimensions (G_W and G_H in this example of rectangular tube).  I set these equal to the finicky Autodesk parameters, then applied my formatting to my custom one instead.  Then use your parameters instead of the Autodesk ones in Descriptions, Parts List columns, etc.

The names of the parameters are completely arbitrary.  Mine follow a convention I established at my company, in which "_DESC" is tacked onto parameters that primarily exist to get a dimension into the Description field.

CC Fractional Issue.PNG

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks for the idea.

I am going to try this idea in the next few days.

I am going to fix one of my content template files to have a new parameter to link to (G_L) and replace the content template and try on frame generator.

Right now I only have a problem with the (G_L) keep switching to decimal. Do you think I need to change the (G_W) & (G_H) too?

Thanks for your help.

Message 9 of 13
jtylerbc

@Anonymous wrote:

Right now I only have a problem with the (G_L) keep switching to decimal. Do you think I need to change the (G_W) & (G_H) too?

I probably would if I were you.  G_W, G_H, and G_T are the ones where I originally noticed the issue, so I know they have the potential to do it in at least some cases.  It seems like it would be less work to fix them all at once, rather than just fixing G_L, then finding out next week that some of the others are doing the same thing.

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks

Message 11 of 13
jan_priban

Hello,

I tried following workflow which seems to be a solution:

• Copy family to user library using CC Editor (make it writable)
  • Create instance from such new family
  • Define iLogic rule (code bellow) + trigger After Save
  • Replace family template

Then instances placed by Place from CC or generated by Frame Generator have G_L in fractional format. Even when I modified frame length by FG-Lengthen/Shorten command.

Regards

Jan Priban

Dim oParameter As Parameter

oParameter = ThisDoc.Document.ComponentDefinition.Parameters.UserParameters("G_L")

oParameter.ExposedAsProperty = True

Dim oFormat As CustomPropertyFormat

oFormat = oParameter.CustomPropertyFormat

oFormat.PropertyType=Inventor.CustomPropertyTypeEnum.kTextPropertyType

oFormat.Precision=Inventor.CustomPropertyPrecisionEnum.kEighthsFractionalLengthPrecision

oFormat.Units="in"

oFormat.ShowUnitsString=True

G_L as fractionalG_L as fractional

Add RuleAdd Rule

Message 12 of 13
jtylerbc
in reply to: jan_priban

@jan_priban , I never tried that method of fixing it, but it makes sense that it would work.  Manually changing the property format for an already-placed part does resolve the problem for that piece, and essentially that's what your code does.

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: jan_priban

F.Y.I

I have the problem with the <G_L> keep switching from fraction to decimal.

I follow the idea in this post by created another custom parameter call <G_L1> or whatever you like then link this parameter = <G_L> then the problem is solved.

How to do this.

1. Take any content part to regular part then modified the parameter then edit content then upload this file to content.

Unless you have a template content file when you edit the content.

It works for me very well. I try on a frame generator and try to change length, trim, miter, short length, add length and it always turns out a fraction and the setting +- to whatever you set in the parameter.

Thanks for an idea guy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report