Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator, Custom Notch Issue

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jeanchile
999 Views, 6 Replies

Frame Generator, Custom Notch Issue

I am attempting to create some custom content center items for use in frame generator and I have almost everything figured out and successfully tested but I can't figure this last issue out. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a custom U-shaped profile that is used to close off the exposed edges of perforated metal, wire mesh, expanded metal, etc. I have set up a custom notch profile for this shape and established it as the custom profile when authoring the part to content center. When I select the parts to notch I get this error:

CUSTOM NOTCH ERROR.png

When I edit the part "in context" of the assembly and see the error for the notch at the part level, this is what the sketch looks like when I highlight it in the browser:

CUSTOM NOTCH SKETCH.png

I am not smart enough to figure out why this isn't working, and I have no idea if this last picture provides you smart people with any clues, but could someone please take a look at this and offer some assistance when they have time please?

I have also attached the part I used to publish to CC, and the test assembly I did. Thanks for your help!

Inventor Professional
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jeanchile
in reply to: jeanchile

Oh Autodesk User's Group...  why do you shun me Smiley Sad ?

Inventor Professional
Message 3 of 7
jeanchile

Okay so has no one really ever done this that can provide some assistance or have I really been shunned for something?

If it's A, well I guess I'm on my own.

If it's B, please inform me of my infractions and I will commence rectification immediately.

Inventor Professional
Message 4 of 7
Indentor

I would guess that once you have 100% overlap of the two members it doesn't qualify as a notch anymore.

Would need to see what the end goal is.

Message 5 of 7
jeanchile
in reply to: Indentor

Um... wow, that makes sense. I didn't even think of it that way. My intent is this...

The shape is too small for any notching of the profile where it fits "inside" the U-shape. It would never be fabricated that way by any of my clients. When one piece meets the other (in almost any condition, the trim tool can be used to create the fabricated condition (and should be used so the length is correct).

The only condition where I was thinking the notch would be needed is when we have one member framing in to the back of the other (the rounded U portion). I can use the trim command on a rounded shape. Is there another work-flow I should be using here? I figured the notch was our only option in this case even though the length wouldn't be accurate.

Inventor Professional
Message 6 of 7
jeanchile

@jeanchile wrote:

... I can use the trim command on a rounded shape. 

Oops... I meant "can't use the trim command". My apologies.

Inventor Professional
Message 7 of 7
Indentor

It would be cool to see the joint modeled with regular extrudes and cuts so we can see what you are after.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report