Active Contributor
SoulAsasin
Message 1 of 14 (370 Views)
Accepted Solution

Frame Generator Constraint Performance Error

370 Views, 13 Replies
11-28-2012 01:41 AM

Hello all,

I am having performance problems with constraining a FG assembly. I have a simple frame, (cube form). When I am trying to constrain some  brakets to the frame (or anything else) and click apply, Inventor freezes and I have to wait about 2 mins. It is killing me.

The same when I try to insert new frame members

Any ideea why I have this problem?

Thanks.

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Active Contributor
SoulAsasin
Message 2 of 14 (353 Views)

Re: Frame Generator Constraint Performance Error

01-03-2013 02:15 AM in reply to: SoulAsasin

I managed to find a workaround for this problem; in case somebody else is having it.

The ideea is that the generated FG frame should be in a phantom assembly. In this assembly you should only have the skeleton part and the frame.

All other parts (fasteners, milled parts, etc...) should be in a parrent assemlby.

This way the only time when I have this freeze is when I change the frame. Not at everyconstraint aded.

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Active Contributor
SoulAsasin
Message 3 of 14 (311 Views)

03-01-2013 01:35 AM in reply to: SoulAsasin

Hey all.

This problem is starting to get to me.

I am using custom frame profile with frame generator and it is so so so so slow. I mean if I make a trim/extend I have to wait about 15 minutes!!

I don't think it's normal.

Anybody any ideas how can change things?

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 4 of 14 (303 Views)

03-01-2013 04:53 AM in reply to: SoulAsasin

The issues you are having don't sound normal.  I've been using FG for about 4 years now without any really long waits.  It does have to stop and think a little bit when you make changes to a frame, since it basically has to recalculate the entire thing to reset all of your end treatments etc.

Basic structure of a frame for me is:

Parent Assembly.iam - This is the entire frame broken into upper and lower sections     

Lower Frame.iam - Lower frame assembly

Lower Frame Sketch.ipt - Contains any sketches for lower frame

Lower Frame.iam - the actual frame generator assembly containing the skeleton

FG Parts as well as gussetts, feet etc. Constrained at this level.

....same structure for the upper frame.  Note that my gussetts and feet are constrained to the FG sub-assembly.  Not sure why you would have trouble doing it at this level.  System specs look ok, from where are you pulling your content center parts?

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

Active Contributor
SoulAsasin
Message 5 of 14 (299 Views)

03-01-2013 05:40 AM in reply to: cbenner

Hey.

I have my custom frames in a CC library on my hard drive.

I usually have an asssembly whitch contains the skeleton and the inserted FG profiles. And a parent assembly which has the brackets, feet and everything  I need. I think this is ok no?

I don't think that my frame sections are to complex. I atached a temporary CC library with one frame type. Can you look if it works ok for you?

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Distinguished Mentor
swhite
Message 6 of 14 (295 Views)

03-01-2013 06:20 AM in reply to: SoulAsasin

Don't forget to select all frame generated parts, right click, go to component and demote them into a parent assembly of whatever name you choose. Use this assembly to add plates etc, not the original frame assembly. This new assembly will update automatically as you update the frame assembly. This should help as inventor will not have to recalculate all the frame members every time you make a change in the new assembly.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Distinguished Mentor
swhite
Message 7 of 14 (291 Views)

03-01-2013 06:35 AM in reply to: swhite

Like so.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 8 of 14 (286 Views)

03-01-2013 07:38 AM in reply to: swhite

I can't open either of these documents.  The test.zip is just an assembly file with no parts, so it opens up empty and unresolved.  The .idcl file,... what is that?  What do you open it with?

ChrisB

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Mentor
swhite
Message 9 of 14 (281 Views)

03-01-2013 07:47 AM in reply to: cbenner

Right click the test01 assembly in the model tree while open and choose resolve file. Then locate the frame folder and select appropriate parts.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 10 of 14 (279 Views)

03-01-2013 07:51 AM in reply to: swhite

Didn't look deep enough... my bad

ChrisB

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.