Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator Components Cannot Be Used for Revit Family Creation?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
petestrycharske
791 Views, 5 Replies

Frame Generator Components Cannot Be Used for Revit Family Creation?

All,

I have been working with some framing, generated via frame generator, and want to export this as a Revit family.  However, I just don't seem to be able to get it to work.  Doesn't seem to matter if I derive the assembly, create a simplified part or use a substitute LOD, I cannot get Inventor to successfully recognize Revit features.  Does anyone have any experience with this and has found an effective workaround?  Or is this just a current limitation of the tool?  Any input would be greatly appreciated and please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed night!

Peace,
Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
blair
in reply to: petestrycharske

No problem here using the BIM Exchange within Inventor to create a Autodesk Exchange File for use in Revit.

Use the BIM Exchange Tab> Manage Tab>Export Building Components (looks like a house frame with floppy disc).

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 6
petestrycharske
in reply to: blair

blair,

Just to make sure that I am following properly, these are the steps that I have taken

1. Create a skeletal frame sketch part

2. Place part in a new assembly

3. Apply a frame to the skeletal part

4. Apply corner treatments

5. Save the assembly

6. Open a new part file

7. Derive the assembly into the part file (I have also tried to save out a substitute part and simplified part from the assembly)

8. Navigate to the BIM tab >> Bim Ready Content >> Recognize Revit Features command.

9. Perform an autorecognize

10. Failure message

No matter what I try, I get an error message (which I am attaching), and the autorecognize does not successfully complete.  Are these the same steps that you have followed?  Also, are you performing this in Inventor 2015 or 2014?  I find that if I just attempt to publish, the features not recognized simply do not come across into the Revit family model.  Thanks for the feedback and hope this helps clarify what I am trying to accomplish.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,
Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 4 of 6
blair

I'm now on IV2015 PDSU, there shouldn't be any difference between 2014 and 2015. Why even open a new IPT and Derive, I just use the exiting IAM file and use the BIM Tab. That's the whole idea of the BIM Tab, it does the simplify as part of the process.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 6
petestrycharske
in reply to: blair

blair,

Thanks for the update.  I understand the rationale for the simplification tools, but we have found a limitation.  The assemblies don't have to ability to be converted to Revit families, only parts have that ability.  This is why we are trying to convert to a part first and then export to a Revit family.  I am just trying to determine if the frame generator components won't work for this operation and then I will recommend trying to use the ADSK filetype.

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 6 of 6
blair

Possibly try breaking the link in the derived part before you try checking if for Revit.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report