Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
nannerdw
Message 1 of 4 (757 Views)

Frame Generator: can't trim/extend to subassembly

757 Views, 3 Replies
09-12-2012 05:11 AM

I'm unable to use the "Trim/Extend" command between a frame generator component and a part within a subassembly.

In the picture, the red/blue components are in a subassembly, and the yellow beam is the component to be trimmed.  However, only the faces of the patterned component instances within the subassembly (in blue) are available for selection in the trim/extend dialog.

In this particular case, I could just trim to one of the patterned components, but that's not always going to be an option in other frame assemblies.  Is there a workaraound for this?

-Using Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 2 of 4 (746 Views)

Re: Frame Generator: can't trim/extend to subassembly

09-12-2012 05:45 AM in reply to: nannerdw

Can you post the assembly for tinkering?

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cadtipstricks.wordpress.com//

Valued Contributor
nannerdw
Message 3 of 4 (729 Views)

09-12-2012 07:54 AM in reply to: cbenner

The top-level assembly is "2_level_frame_assembly.iam"

I'm trying to trim the angled channel that runs between the platforms.

I noticed that once I go into the assembly created by the frame generator and pattern the cross beams, I can't go back and edit those patterned parts via the frame generator unless I delete the pattern.  I guess the reason why I'm able to trim to the patterned components is that they are no longer associated with the frame generator.

-Using Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012
*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 4 of 4 (687 Views)

09-12-2012 11:59 AM in reply to: nannerdw

I think you are stuck with only being able to use a assembly feature "Cut" that will oly show up at the assembly level. You can't use the "Trim" from within the FG to trim or extend to a part outside of the FG. When you go back into the components at the FG or Part level the cut will not be there.

Much like doing holes at the Assembly level in parts, it only shows at the Assembly level and not at the part/IPT level.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 SP1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 r1 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 340.52
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.