Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator BOM BUG - Hotfix please

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
stevec781
572 Views, 11 Replies

Frame Generator BOM BUG - Hotfix please

For years now my BOM's have had incomplete rollups due to formulas being missing - I just thought I forgot to copy them down.  This time I was really carefull and there were still some missing.  So I did some testing and found a bug.

Here's how it goes.

1. Create a frame assembly

2. assign a formula to the part number eg <stock number>-<G_L>   (used for part number roll up)

3. Copy this formula to all frame members.

4.  Edit frames by editing the sketch, or use design tab for mitering, extending etc.

5. save assembly.

6. Open BOM to find that formulas for all edited frame members are gone.

Problem is in 2011 & 2012 and I'll bet 2013 as well. 

Can we have a hot fix please.

FG before edit.JPG

FG after edit.JPG

11 REPLIES 11
Message 3 of 12
pauldoubet
in reply to: stevec781

This has been the case for as long as I can remember. If you do anything to a FG model that would cause an update the formulas will be overwritten by FG.

Paul

Message 4 of 12
jtylerbc
in reply to: cbenner

@cbenner wrote:

I've never run across this... odd.

Me neither - the only time I've ever noticed losing things like this are when I've changed the size of a member.  Makes sense in that case, as it creates a new file.

If this is something you commonly do, could you get around the issue by having the custom formula in your Content Center family?  If FG / CC was replacing your part with another one that has the same customization already in it, then your problem would disappear.

Message 5 of 12
pauldoubet
in reply to: jtylerbc

The last time I tested this any formula in a CC family was lost when the part is placed in a FG assembly. Your only option as far as I know is to paste the formulas in after the FG model is completed. I believe in Inventor 2011, maybe 2010 the behavor changed slightly in that the formula values did get passed through to FG but as static information, not the syntax of equals, less than, values, greater than sign, etc.

Paul

Message 6 of 12
jtylerbc
in reply to: pauldoubet

I never used FG or CC prior to version 2010, so I don't know how prior versions operated.  However, I do have length updating properly on FG parts.  It's been a little while since I set it up, so I may be missing some of the details, but this is my general setup. 

First, I saved out a member from the family in my read/write library.

In the "Title" iProperty I added the formula:

=  . . . . . <G_T>

Where the dots represent the rest of the component description.

This version of the part is then uploaded as the new Family Template.  I then use substitution in my Parts List to use the Title in place of the Description where applicable.  Everything updates properly.

I suspect the difference lies in the fact that I'm using a field that isn't actually written into by Content Center, so it never gets written over.  I don't recall exactly why I used "Title" instead of "Description" when I set this up a year or so ago, but it may have been to avoid problems like the one that started this thread.

Message 7 of 12
pauldoubet
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks for sharing your method of using a custom CC family with FG.

jtylerbc wrote:

In the "Title" iProperty I added the formula:

=  . . . . . <G_T>

Where the dots represent the rest of the component description.

This version of the part is then uploaded as the new Family Template.  I then use substitution in my Parts List to use the Title in place of the Description where applicable.  Everything updates properly.

I suspect the difference lies in the fact that I'm using a field that isn't actually written into by Content Center, so it never gets written over.  I don't recall exactly why I used "Title" instead of "Description" when I set this up a year or so ago, but it may have been to avoid problems like the one that started this thread.

This is the best practice if you want to eliminate the editing of the BOM data with Frame Generator. You can expand on this approach and create a complete set of custom iProperties to use with a custom Parts List so you don't have to use the 'Substitution' function in the Parts List if you desire.

Good Luck to all, Paul

Message 8 of 12
jtylerbc

@pauldoubet wrote:
This is the best practice if you want to eliminate the editing of the BOM data with Frame Generator. You can expand on this approach and create a complete set of custom iProperties to use with a custom Parts List so you don't have to use the 'Substitution' function in the Parts List if you desire.

In my case, use of Substitution was intentional to solve another issue.  My FG components are often shown mixed in assembly drawings with other components (various steel plates, sheete metal, purchased hardware, etc.) that use the normal Description field.  The substitution prevents me from either having two columns to get all parts described in the list, or having to create and edit custom iProperties for every single model I make.

Also, the substitution itself is saved as part of the Parts List Style that I use for steel fabrication, so other than the original setup work in the Style Editor (done one time, over a year ago), it adds no additional work.

Message 9 of 12
stevec781

I need my BOM to show individual cut length quanties for each type of section and each length as shown below.

cutlist.JPG

As far as I know the only way to do this is to have a formula in the part number field and use part number rollup.  This way it groups all items of the same type and length.  (I would think this should be much easier as just about every FG model would need a cutting list)

Message 10 of 12
jtylerbc

Check out this macro that was posted here a few years ago:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-Customization/Semi-Auto-Frame-Generator-Part-Rollup/...

The formatting I explained earlier is what I use to generate my Descriptions.  A slightly modified version of the macro is what I use to group the part numbers.  It sets the Part Number field to "Stock Number x G_L", which is very close to what you were asking for in the original post.

In my case, since we use a different way of numbering the parts, I use it to group like parts together before I do my manual renumbering.  It seems like it would be an even better fit for you.  Any time something gets out of sync because of replacing members and such, you could just re-run the macro.

Message 11 of 12
pauldoubet

If you add your own part number column & custom iProperty for that part number to your custom CC you will be able to do what you need to with your parts list very easily. And you can totally eliminate editing your BOM data. The key is to have the information used in your parts list use custom columns from the CC family that are not overwritten by FG.

Paul

Message 12 of 12
cadull_rb

My iPart contained an expression for the part number, but I did not have it in my table. Publishing to the content center added a column which I was able to change using the editor.

ContentCenterPartNumber.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report