Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame generator advice needed.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rhasell
593 Views, 5 Replies

Frame generator advice needed.

Hi
I am looking for advice on the correct workflow for frame generator.

Firstly, my workflow is as follows:
I create parts and assemblies consisting of master sketches and multi solid master parts. The sub assemblies are created as they would be fabricated, and shop detailed accordingly.

I don'tI use FG very often, and is mainly for "centreline" assemblies for engineering drawings, and some basic frames.

I now have a project that I think will be more beneficial being created in FG.

What I would like to do is create a similar workflow consisting of "manufacturing" sub-assemblies which will be detailed as such. Each part and plate will have to be detailed individually as well. I did play around with the content centre, and have customised the structural library a little, to suit my BOM styles, but that is not a major issue just yet.

The big thing, is re-using sub assemblies, being able to create meaningful connections, Diablo's,pinned connections etc, and then being able to detail it as I would normally do as if I did not use the frame generator.

I did try and derive each part into an new part, but I think I am going to work myself into a death spiral, and eventually destroy my model. ( I did that for more control over the BOM)

An example of today's work, it took me a day to do 80% of frame, in which the FG would have done the same thing thing in around1 hour. It's a no brainier to create the frame, but turning that frame into something meaningful, is why I am coming to you all for help.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: rhasell

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve, but I can't think of any reason you wouldn't be able to do it on FG.  We create multi-level frames all the time, using FG, and treat each "section" as a sub assembly for detailing purposes.  I do this by creating each section of the frame as a standal,one in FG, and then assembling them in a top level frame assembly model.... using standard contraints.  That way each piece is it's own assembly for detailing.  I do not detail each piece of the frame separately, but since each is a unique part... you could do that easily enough.

As far as re-using frames... if you mean that you want to copy them... you can do that with Vault copy design.... and possibly design assistant (I don't use that so I can't say for sure).

Message 3 of 6
eman6398

One way I have done this is by not creating subassemblies, but creating view representations for each "weldment" that needs to be detailed in a drawing. When detailing the weldment, set the view to be associative to that representation. I also make sure to lock the view representation so no added parts appear when added afterwards. We dont use much of the bom side so I am not sure how this will affect that. drawingwise it has worked out. I have tried the derived part option and doesnt work out well. Parts dont update and if structural steel changes they dont update in the derived part. So far this has been the best option for us.

Dell t1700 Xeon 16 gb ram
Windows 7 64 bit
NVIDIA QUADRO K4000

Message 4 of 6
Jonka45

You tube is a good place to start in my opinion! Rob Cohee (Autodesk Guru now doing PLM unfortunately) did a few videos about fundamentals of inventor. He did 2 on frame gen. I follow his way of doing it and we use frame gen quite a bit and I have never had any issues (other than some bits of it are limited, but that's another story). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGuUrMigdmI  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1LaPODFXSo if these links don't work Google rob cohee frame generator and it will be there.

Inventor 2022 Proffesional
Alienware Aurora R8
Windows 10 pro
Inside Leg 35 inch
Message 5 of 6
rhasell
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks guys.

Been a bit busy over the past week, I will let you know my experiences using FG a little later.  My findings so far...The first thing that I found that is that I created a large frame, then demoted parts to Sub assemblies. This worked well untill I had to remove and replace frame members. This broke the frame, as I had to promote and then demote again, causing the subassembly to loose contraints.

I will do it differently next time to create more stable assemblies which can be managed a little eaisier.  The sub assemblies maintain the FG link, which is great, but deleting/replacing etc caused issues.

I will try ChrisB's solution of individual "sub Frames"

I am currently detailing using design view reps, and the BOM is an absolute disaster, It will have to be excel tables, until I can work out what to do at a lter stage. No time to learn, the deadlines are here....

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 6 of 6
thijs1234

Maybe this link is helpfull for your BOM problems? It is a bit of a routine but it works..

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.nl/2011/03/understanding-autodesk-inventor-frame.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report