Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator-3D sketch lines

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
domtown
3823 Views, 5 Replies

Frame Generator-3D sketch lines

I have created a chassis wireframe using 2D and 3D sketches. In frame generator, I am able to insert frame members on the 2D lines, but not the 3D lines. I can put frame members on 3D lines ONLY if I use the "insert members between points" placement, but then I can't merge several members together to create 1 tube (can I?).

So...

How do I put frame members on 3D sketch lines using the "insert members on edges" placement?

OR

How do I merge tube members when they are inserted using the "insert members between points" placement?

Thanks for any help!

Inventor Professional 2013

Windows 7 64-bit

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: domtown

It should work the same for 3D sketches as it does for 2D.  (did you select a Size?)

Attach your skeleton file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
domtown
in reply to: JDMather

File is attached.

For some reason it works for the right side of the roll cage (which is a 3D sketch) but not for any other 3D sketch, including the left side of the roll cage (which is a mirror of the right side).

Thanks for your assistance.

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

I didn't check out why it isn't working yet, but

- a similar question to this came up here about a month ago.
I assigned the problem to my students to show that it would be far easier to only use 2D sketches and I was surprised how quickly they produces solutions proving that my assertion was accurate.  Their solutions were created quickly and far easier to edit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
domtown
in reply to: JDMather

While you may be correct that it might have been easier to sketch the entire wireframe using only 2D sketches, I'm at a point in this project that I don't have time to attempt to re-draw this part. However, I'll keep your advice in mind for future projects.

Please let me know if you determine any other solutions to my problem. Thanks for your time.

Message 6 of 6
domtown

It looks like the problem is related to 3D sketch lines that I mirrored across a plane. If I take away the mirror then I can add frame members to thsoe 3D sketch lines. Does this sound like a problem that makes sense?

While it will be a little tedious to mirror each 3D sketch, then delete the mirror constraint and reconstrain the mirrored side...at least I know what the problem is, and (sort of) how to fix it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report