Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Creator Frame Member Unique Names

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Cadmanto
384 Views, 4 Replies

Frame Creator Frame Member Unique Names

Here is my situation.

I have created a frame using the frame creator with all the individual members

listed in the frature manager.  When I check this into the vault it goes in fine.

When I create a second frame (seperate frame file) it uses one or two of the same fram types as the

first frame.  The problem comes when I go to check this into the vault it says the member already exists.

I ahve been told and I am seeing it that the frame creator always starts with "001" and numbers downward

in creating the member names.  This creates a problem in the vault because of the duplicate file factor.

What I ended up doing was calling up that particular member and doing a file save as then replacing it in

the assembly.  Then it would check in fine.

Is this the only work around or is there a setting somewhere that allows unique names for these frame members.

Thanks

Scott

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: Cadmanto

No one has any suggestions for this situation?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 3 of 5
mflayler
in reply to: Cadmanto

These boxes being checked will help you a little bit.

2-20-2012 1-00-53 PM.png

But the real place to change this will be in the Content Center Editor.  I really wish Autodesk would get their head straight and provide a better new user instruction on how to modify and setup the Content Center.

The easiest way to overcome this is...

Turn off unique file names in Vault - an administrator would do this and then you can place whatever members you want so long as you keep them organized correctly in a folder system.  If you are using Vault Collaboration you can set up a naming scheme that the software will never duplicate when you create frame members.

The best way to overcome this is too...if you are not using Vault Collaboration is...

Copy the entire CC library or what you care about to a Company library (different ways to do this depending on your setup) and then modify the file naming of the structural steel to what you want the files to be when they are generated.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 4 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: mflayler

The problem comes in when using Frame Generator, since FG does not use the file naming structure you have in the CC.  It creates a "unique" filename based off of  "Spec" , "Stock Number" and a system generated  (8) digit number, starting with 00000001.  When simply placing a piece of steel in an assembly from the CC without using FG, it WILL take the name from your CC family table.

What I do is make sure that I leave the "Prompt for File Name" box checked, and add a prefix to each one, which is the job number.  That way even if the numbering pattern is repeated on the next job, it will still be a unique filename in Vault.  Also makes it easier when using Copy Design, as I can "find and replace" that job number string with the job number of the new frame and have no problems.

Renaming each one is a bit of a pain, but if you copy the prefix into your clipboard first it will speed the process up.

Message 5 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: mflayler

Mark,

I couldn't agree more in regards to your Autodesk comment.

I realized after I made my second comment that I just went live with vault and I am an admin,

but to go with unchecking the unique name option is not a choice.  We have too many users in different plants

and this would just breed havic.

We are looking into colaboration, but for now I think integrating the numbering scheme option might be the way to go here.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report