Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fractions in BOM

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
meck
885 Views, 9 Replies

Fractions in BOM

I just installed Inventor 2009 and was testing the custom iproperties functions and using those iproperties in a BOM.
I got the functions to display in the BOM as advertised which is cool, but the values are in decimals. Is there a way to get the values in fraction?
I hope so other wise I won't be able to use this cool feature. (I don't write the company policies I just follow them)
Thanks
Mike Eck
Master Drafter/ CAD Programmer
Using Inventor 2018
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
karin.pecovska
in reply to: meck

To show a custom property in Fractional format you need to edit the source part, call "Parameters", select the desired parameter, set it to Export, RMC on its row and choose "Custom Property Format" (see attached picture). If you need to apply the settings to many parameters in the part, use checkbox "Apply to existing comparable parameters".

Then you can populate the custom parameter in assembly BOM editor or in parts list in drawing and its values will show fractions.
Karin Pecovska (Autodesk QA)
Message 3 of 10
meck

Excellent!
Thanks you!
Mike Eck
Using Inventor 2018
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks for the great tip. I knew the Custom Property Format was there but never though of using to push data into iproperties.

Vince Balge
Supervisor, Design Drafting
ATCO Noise Management, HIGGOTT-KANE Division
Message 5 of 10
meck

Glad I could help!
Inventor is such a huge program, and the help file is so large, that sometimes the treasures are hard to find even with a map.
Mike Eck
Using Inventor 2018
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

can you explain how to do this in inventor 2011?

Message 7 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

can you explain how to do this in inventor 2011?

Same way as already posted above... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 10
ian.solomon

I have a related issue to this. We make a metal ring, which it one machined part. It is the cut into segments, machined, and then these segments are used in the manufacture of various machines. One machine would use two of these segments, while another may need three.

How can I call up these segments, so that they have a BOM that uses a fraction of the original part?

Message 9 of 10
SharkDesign
in reply to: ian.solomon

You have to override the BOM quantity, which is a bit dangerous in my opinion.
  Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 10 of 10
cadman777
in reply to: ian.solomon

You may consider reworking your assemblies a bit.

You can Derive your full ring into another ipt and chop it into 3 parts in there and keep only 1 of the 3 parts.

Then you can substitute that Derived part into the original assembly that contained the full ring part.

Then you can have the part properly represented in your assembly, whether you have 3 of them in one position (= a full ring), or 2 or 1.

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report