Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

force dimension between extension lines

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
j_madison
4509 Views, 11 Replies

force dimension between extension lines

Hi all,

I think I'm missing something simple. In my IDW, I'm trying to move the dimension text between the extension lines. I know that my 'default' settings are making the dim text go outside, but I want to override in this case, and force the dim text to go between the extension lines.

Please see the attached picture. I'm sure it's something simple, but I can't find the answer in Inventor help, or on the forum.

Thanks in Advance
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mflayler2
in reply to: j_madison

This won't solve for every dimension, but you could go to your dimension style you are using and on the Options Tab in the Style you could have the arrowheads point outside. Inventor is actually trying to maintain the best fit method for placement and by placing them inside the dimension you are essentially defining your own convention for placement. Inventor follows this method as a drafting convention for good dimensioning. When I look at your dimension text inside the arrows, it starts to blur the correct placement for me.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 12
j_madison

Hmmm... thanks for the tip. I don't think that's the way I want to go, though.

"it starts to blur the correct placement for me"
- Do you mean that it is easier for you to read the dim when it is outside the extension lines (like in the red box in my picture)? I agree that it would be more difficult to read if the arrows were outside, that's why I wanted the arrows and the text inside.
Message 4 of 12
mflayler2

Just one of those things. You will have to place them manually where you want them. If you ever used the best fit method in AutoCAD it should ring a bell. In AutoCAD you could specify which default you wanted (text inside or outside, arrows, etc)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 12
j_madison

I guess that's what I was trying to do... place them manually. How is that possible?

I'm a mechanical engineer, but not much of a drafter really. I'm very clumsy with AutoCAD, hardly ever use it. But, I'm more familiar with Inventor and SolidWorks. SolidWorks had a "force dim inside" type of command that I was hoping I could do in Inventor.
Message 6 of 12
mflayler2

Click on the dimension and then click and hold the green grip dot on the text. Then place it accordingly.

Message 7 of 12
j_madison

Thank you for your ongoing help. I don't have a green grip dot on the text. I have attached a pic with several dims selected. None of them have a grip on the text, only at all the endpoints of the lines.

Do I have a setting wrong?
Message 8 of 12
mflayler2

My bad, no green dot, you just click on the text when you see the Move glyph behind the cursor. Still doesn't let you put them where arrows don't fit though. It also helps to have your dimension text set to horizontal in your style under "Text" --> "Orientation".

Message 9 of 12
j_madison

Okay... Yeah, I have been able to move the text around... I was just trying to force it inside, which, as you have described it just won't do. That's okay. I'll learn to live with it. No big deal.

Thanks for the help!
Message 10 of 12
georgetrott

I know I am a few years late on this but, If you right click on the DIM. and click Edit Dimension Style...click o the Default dimension then click on the Display tab and change the "C:Gap" dimension to something smaller (I set mine to .0001) and then I was able to drag the dimension to the center of the arrows.

BTW, I am using 2015

We live in a 3D world, why not draw and design in 3D.
Inventor 2015 x64
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.40GHz
8 Gb RAM
Windows 7 x 64
Message 11 of 12
okaleja

Hi,

Sorry, there is no such command available in Inventor to force dimension text between extension lines if there is not enough space. In your case the only option I see is to use vertical orientation for the text above dimension line (Edit Dimension Style -> Text Tab -> Orientation -> Vertical Dimension: Parallel).

Oto Kaleja

Autodesk

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 12 of 12
CMyers
in reply to: georgetrott

This was exactly what I was looking for, thank you for posting this.  I had been struggling with this for a while and this worked like a charm!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report