Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the 2015 Users

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
helavagal
843 Views, 12 Replies

For the 2015 Users

Quick questin for 2015 users - how do you like it?  My company has announced that they are not going to migrate to 2015 because of past releases of Inventor (huh?) and though they have not fully used Inventor themselves - they refuse to upgrade ours based off one not so knowledgable IT person.

I would love to hear your thoughts.  From the videos on Autodesk's web page I would LOVE to ugrade!!!

Thank you so much!!

Angela

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: helavagal

@helavagal wrote:
..... - they refuse to upgrade ours based off one not so knowledgable IT person.

Angela

I think you should invite the IT person to get involved in this discussion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

@helavagal wrote:
..... - they refuse to upgrade ours based off one not so knowledgable IT person.

Angela

I think you should invite the IT person to get involved in this discussion.

Or at least explain what he is basing his decision off of.?

2015 is very stable IMO.. I have not had any problems really. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 13
blair
in reply to: mcgyvr

1.) I would love to hear why the IT person who doesn't use the software thinks that you don't need the upgrade.

2.) New Features listed below

Modeling is easier with Direct Edit, Freeform, and Sketch

Direct Edit

Parametrically move, size, rotate, and delete imported solid models or native Inventor files:
  • Quickly and precisely change parametric/feature part geometry in models with complex histories.
  • Change imported base solid data.
  • · Before you commit to redesign, explore the possibilities. Explore the redesign of parts in the context of the parent assembly. Align geometry on the active part with geometry from other parts (nonassociative).

Freeform

Use this flexible modeling approach to explore and create freeform shaped models using direct manipulation. You can edit Freeform shapes at any stage in the design.
  • Combine Freeform tools with existing parametric models, and incorporate freeform modeling when the design dictates. Use the Freeform Match Edge command to modify a freeform body to match to an existing model or sketch geometry
  • Perform concept modeling with the new Freeform tools. Create rough shapes where size and shape are not yet established.

New constraint tools and settings

Get your sketches into shape faster and more easily. The new Relax Mode improves productivity to modify geometries that are already constrained. Experience greater control over constraints with improved display, inference, and delete options.

One new command called Constraint Settings provides access to all of the 2D sketch constraints-related settings.

Improved Start Up and Learning Experience

The new learning experience environment and tools all combine to make learning easier and faster.

Inventor Home functions as your personal dashboard and provides a single central location to start or edit files, and to access your learning and help content.

Team Web access is available from Inventor Home. Use Team Web to provide links to the content of your choice.

Tutorial Learning path is also available from Inventor Home. The new tutorial path guides you through the most common workflows to provide a solid foundation of skills. The new interactive tutorials in the path cover the basics of Sketch, Parts, Assemblies, and Drawings. Engaging challenge exercises promote in-depth learning.

Improved Search keeps you productive. It places all of the rich content provided by Autodesk at your fingertips, quickly and easily. Search Preview displays results for Commands, Help articles, Support content, Discussion Groups, YouTube videos, and Blog posts.

Workflow Enhancements

Among the many enhancements, are:

Parts

• Twist angle is added to Sweep.
  • Standard tap depth is available for holes.
  • Enhancements to parameter dialog boxes.

Assemblies

• Enhancements to Joints include: offset origin, select virtual midpoint between two faces as a joint origin and align to work geometry.
  • Frame Generator now supports Member Reuse.
  • You can create work planes between two parallel or non parallel planes.

Drawings

• For annotations, you can double-click anywhere on a balloon to edit it.
  • Move a split table to other sheets.
  • Creating drawings with large Assemblies is faster.
  • Create foreshortened (linear, angular, and arc length) dimensions.

Sheet Metal

• Use a window selection of points to place a punch.
  • Cut Normal option is added to the Cut dialog box.
  • Enhanced orientation control within flat pattern.
  • In the browser, EOP (End of Part) is changed to EOF (End of Flat/Folded).
  • Designate the A side for a flat pattern and punch tool.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 13
helavagal
in reply to: blair

I wish said IT person would join - but his mind is set.  Keep in mind he does NOT use the program, he just "fixes" the program.  I personally am drooling for 2015 as I saw the list of upgrades.  I would even volunteer to "test" 2015 for th company but since I am just a pee-on drafter, I do not know what the heck I am talking about.  He is basing this off of how terrible 2013 was compared to 2012 (personnally I think he has it backwards as I used both and 2012 was not nearly as stable or as quick as 2013) and since it is an "odd" year (2015) all odd year Inventor programs are automatically terrible.  LOL  So I was asking you all who are in the process of using it to express your views so that I can print this out and take it to the powers that be and prove that this version is not what he thinks.

Thank you,

Angela

Message 6 of 13
mcgyvr

It really doesn't matter what we think.. But I can say for sure that there will be far less headaches moving from 2014 to 2015 vs 2012 to 2013 as 2013 was a major change as far as materials/appearances/styles,etc.. and there were quite a few bugs back /issues related to that.

A transition from 2014 to 2015 should not cause ANY headaches at all. Its been ROCK solid/stable for me.

But its really up to you..

IF you can prove an increase in production from the new features then it should be installed. IF you have customers that you share data with and you are required to be on the same version then it should be installed.  

IF you can't/don't prove the need well.. then.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 13
JDMather

@helavagal wrote:

I wish said IT person would join - but his mind is set. 

This person is costing the company money.
Time to go to supervisor.

Suggest to supervisor that this person join into this discussion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Very stable.
Message 9 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: JDMather

It's not an ideal situation, I'll grant you that.  But rocking the boat without the seniority or authority won't help much even with posts from the above luminaries.

Ultimately, if selection of software is out of the hands of an employee then there isn't much they can do.  We've all been in that position before: we know a program or version which does its job, does it well, but have to use something else even when that something else is clearly inferior.  Being a good employee sometimes means recognizing whats out of our control and where to best direct our energies.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 10 of 13
helavagal
in reply to: dgorsman

you are absolutely correct - but I believe in informed decisons - not decisions based off of "well Autodesk seems to get it wrong on the odd years" without at least running a demo of it.  I always do my research before I jump to conclusions.  Like today, I use 2013 on a regular basis, but for some reason Content Center refuses to work.  The problem was not understood so I cannot use Inventor on this computer at the moment.  I think it has to do with connctivity but I will let them run the circles.  I just wanted to get a feel on your experience if it was worth the upgrade.

Thank you so much!

Angela

Message 11 of 13
LT.Rusty

@helavagal wrote:

and since it is an "odd" year (2015) all odd year Inventor programs are automatically terrible. 

huh.

Okay, so I'm familiar with the curse on odd-numbered Star Trek movies, (1-3-5 vs 2-4-6) and I'm familiar with the idea that every other release of Windows sucks (95 good, 98 bad, 98SE good, ME bad, XP good, Vista bad, 7 good, 8 bad ... here's hoping for 9!), but this is the first time I've heard that Autodesk has a case of teh suck every other year.

(edit to add: 2015 is great!  I've been running it at home since the beta, and I'm getting fed up with only having 2013 at the office!)

Rusty

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
ampster402
in reply to: LT.Rusty

sort of wondering if it was confused with the stigma of "Don't install Autodesk software until the first SP has been released" or something along that line.

Message 13 of 13
LT.Rusty
in reply to: ampster402

Even that's been vastly overrated the past couple releases.  The beta RC's of 2015 were every bit as stable for me as 2013 SP2 Update 6 is right now at the office.  The only problems I've ever had with 2015 have been related to video drivers, and those cleared up as soon as I got a new video card.  (By "new" I mean "one that wasn't EOL'd about 6 years ago, and dropped from driver support a year and a half ago.  I also mean "new" as in "new" though.)

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report