Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

font line spacing

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
cadman777
3578 Views, 19 Replies

font line spacing

Does anybody know how to change the line spacing for fonts in IV2010?

Reason I ask is b/c I had to change fonts from RomanS to RomanD, b/c the former font wouldn't print clearly enough for the shop and customer to read it (both in pdf and dwg/dxf).

The problem is, RomanD has DOUBLE SPACING as default, instead of the usual single spacing.

I can't get the "Styles" editor to change the spacing in the VIEW LABELS and WELD SYMBOLS.

My drgs now look horrible

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
cbenner
in reply to: cadman777

Not sure how to change the spacing, but I can say that the font that prints best for us is Arial.  And it has nice normal spacing.

arial.JPG

Showing what I can get away with here....

Message 3 of 20
Cadmanto

Chris,

If you are talking about dimensions I am not sure there is a way.  If you are talking about regular notes then there is the spacing ability within the text editor dialog.  You might want to consider changing to a different font.

iLogic might be a possibility.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 20
mcgyvr
in reply to: Cadmanto

I second Arial..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 20

Hi  cadman777,

I might be mistaken, but I think:

RomanD = RomanDouble space

RomanS = RomanSingle space

Other than that they should be the same. So there might have been some other reason that RomanS was not printing well?

But it sounds like you might want to create 2 text styles one for RomanS and one for RomanD, and then set your Weld Symbol style, etc. to use the RomanS text style. That might or might not provide you with a solution, but is something to try.

Edit: The meaning of the D and S was always my assumption, but after typing that I'm not sure it makes any sense?

And I'll give a 3rd recomendation to just using Arial, if you can.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 20

Everybody,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Unfortunately, there's a long-standing company standard that uses RomanS or "txt" (has to do with Acad).

Another long-standing company standard is ISO3098 (or something like that).

Both don't print well (can't see it on laser plotters).

Changing to Arial is not gunna happen.

I always thought the "S" meant single-line and the "D" meant double-line, as in: fonts shape traced w/single-line outline vs. double-line outline.

Zoom in on RomanD in Acad and see that it has 2 lines tracing the letter shape, whereas RomanS has only one.

It makes no sense to double-space a font that is identical to another 'sibling' font which has single-spacing.

At this point, I'm kind'a disgusted w/Adsk for not providing uniformity across their font standards.

Isn't there a way to edit a file in the Inventor folder to get the font spacing the way I want it?

It existes for the line-types, why not long-standing fonts?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated ... Chris

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 7 of 20
cbenner

Sigh.... stuck in the ol' "We've always done it like that." syndrome.... I feel for you.  I've been bucking that here, (somewhat successfully)... I think that standards are meant to be updated when the situation calls for it.  But I know the brick wall that can sometimes lead you to pound your head against.

Good luck to you!

Message 8 of 20
cadman777
in reply to: cbenner

I wonder:

Does someone in here know which fonts properly and uniformly function w/all the dimensioning and annotation commands in IV 2010?

Knowing that, I can present a graphical list of usable fonts to the customer, and ask which fonts they're willing to use as replacements in their standard.

That's a 'sure-fire' way to stop 'beating my head against Adsk's brick wall'.

Also, that way, I can pass along to the customer Adsk's failure, yet, accomplish my objective as well.

Sound like a good compromise?

Now would someone please post that list of fonts for me.

If nobody knows them, then would Adsk please provide that font list (maybe the employees @ Adsk who created the font list in IV)?

Thanks ...

PS: I see that the "forum admin" edited my original post in this thread, but failed to provide any solution. Have we reached the place in this world where verbal 'decorum' takes precedence over solutions to problems?

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 9 of 20
jletcher

ISO does not make you use a font per-say. Just change your documents to show you are using Arial and you are good to go.

ISO just means you follow a procedure to a standard. But you set your standards.

I have set up many ISO companies and have changed from the old font to new font with a document added to our procedures.

So I don't understand why you think you are stuck with the font. Unless you have a controller unwilling to do the paper work.

I think that standard says your spacing should be .210 if I remember. You can set an exact space using this (see pic) in the styles.

space.JPG

Best of luck to you..

Message 10 of 20
cbenner

PS: I see that the "forum admin" edited my original post in this thread, but failed to provide any solution. Have we reached the place in this world where verbal 'decorum' takes precedence over solutions to problems?

Discussion Admin is on patrol for exactly that.  To make sure the rules and guidelines of posting in this community are being met.  They are not here to offer solutions or suggestions.  That's why you have all of our smiling faces.  Smiley LOL

Message 11 of 20
cadman777
in reply to: jletcher

Thanks James,

That was the first thing I tried.

But if you look at the attachment in my first post in this thread, you'll see the idw view labels are uneditable in the "Styles" dialog with RomanD but not RomanS. (RomanS IS Adsk's #2 font used w/Acad, eh?)

Are 'view labels' editable in the Styles dialogue in 2012, 13 or 14, when using RomanD?

It's not about "ISO world standard". It's about 20+ years of archives (for one company), and 'decorum' on my drgs (= 'arial' is 'butt ugly', eats up drg real-estate, and wastes 'ink').

Why can't anybody give me the proper solution (= what I'm asking for) instead of a personal 'work-around'?

Has Adsk degenerated to nothing but 'work-arounds' at their customer's expense, instead of 'service releases' or upgrades addressing such long-standing problems?

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 12 of 20
cadman777
in reply to: cbenner

LOL ... yes, and I surely apprecite all you smiling faces first thing in the morning.

Too bad we can't have a cup of coffee together!

I so luv living in a world dominated by "thought police", don't you?!

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 13 of 20
jletcher

cadman777

Are 'view labels' editable in the Styles dialogue in 2012, 13 or 14, when using RomanD?

Nope don't work you are correct.(2012)

But you can change it manually by dbl click on it and change the spacing. Sucks if you have a bunch but it can be done.

I know a work-around but you are working with Inventor so work-arounds are needed until the develope team gets on board with fixing issues rather than adding clicks.

space 2.JPG

Best of luck..

Message 14 of 20
hosford

it would seem silly to say that we cannot change because thats the way we have done it in the past, yet you have changed from the past:

you now use a different software most likely migrating from 2d to 3d.

use a laser printer, not an inkjet or pen plotter.

guaranteed if accounting needed to change the font to make your paycheck readable, it wouldnt be an issue.

what I would do is find the most readable font and propose a change, mistakes in the shop cost way too much for a silly rule on what font to use

even the bible has had font changes throughout  the years.

Thaddeus Hosford
NUC9i9QNX i9-9980HK, Win 10 Pro 64
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021
Message 15 of 20

@cadman777 wrote:

Why can't anybody give me the proper solution (= what I'm asking for) instead of a personal 'work-around'?

Hi cadman777,

I think you've come up against a limitation of the software's ability, so it looks like there may not be a solution to use the RomanD font without the spacing getting messed up.

It's been several years ago but I recall trying to work through issues with RomanS and RomanD font in the past as well. The view label spacing was the issue back then too (I don't think noticed the weld symbols at that time.)  I took the time to dig through some old emails and found that one solution we arrived at back then was to use either RomanS_IV25 or RomanS_IV50. Ultimately we moved to the more Windows friendly font of Arial for a host of additional reasons.

Those fonts might not work for you, but it's difficult to know, since you've not provided many details about what the printing issues you're seeing are. So you might try these and see.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 16 of 20
Cadmanto

Chris,

That is why there is the Inventor IdeaStation.

While it does not help you right here and now, it can at least put the concept in motion for down the road.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 17 of 20
cadman777
in reply to: jletcher

James,

Thanks for the suggestion.

As it is, that's what I do already (or else leave them looking "horrible").

The amount of extra keystrokes is very troubling to my neck, shoulder, wrist and hands.

Adsk will not address these issues, b/c they are not on their borad of director's 'to do' list.

The fact that such long-standing issues have not received adequate 'developer' attention is a testament to corporate interests.

Thanks again ...

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 18 of 20

Curtis,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Turns-out that I already knew about both those fonts.

They both don't print correctly.

idw files exported into dwg files convert RomanS into those 2 fonts, depending on which annotation is involved.

Consquently, I've had to resolve that issue w/a lisp program (someone on the Acad forum was kind enough to provide me) after the export process.

So, we're back to square-one.

At least you can see I'm not wasting anybody's time in here, and that my 'angst' is well-earned.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 19 of 20
cadman777
in reply to: hosford

hosford,

Thanks for your 'exhortation'.

Please supply me w/the list of fonts in IV2010 that act properly t/o the range of dimensioning and annotation commands.

Much obliged ...

PS: Your software font analogy w/Bible translations is flawed.

(At least Curtis is man-enough to admit the problem lies w/Adsk and not me.)

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 20 of 20
hosford

I dont believe its flawed, changing fonts with the times is a good thing, if you dont like the bible font change, how about road signs, they change them when an easier reading font is available.

the only font I use is what ever comes standard with inventor, its bold enough, many different types of printers do well with it and it is painless.

I believe there is more to your issue than the font. could it be a setting with your laser printer? are you dithering? what layer is your text on, what line thickness is that layer set to? how does microsoft word print the romans on the same plotter?

Thaddeus Hosford
NUC9i9QNX i9-9980HK, Win 10 Pro 64
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report