Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folding a square pipe

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
sergio.rodhz
4073 Views, 17 Replies

Folding a square pipe

Im trying to fold a square pipe i made with some cuts in order to make an angle with it . Im using sheet metal with the correct Defaults but im not really sure how to make it work, attached is a picture of what should be a 90 degree angle after the folding 

.... any help??

square.jpg..

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: sergio.rodhz

I don't see any Sheet Metal features?

Is there a reason you are not modeling in finished form?

Can you attach the *.ipt file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 18
IgorMir

Hi Sergio,

The part you show is not a sheet metal part. Please have a look at the attached file. That's a sheet metal part. To get 90° - just edit the first sketch.

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 4 of 18
sergio.rodhz
in reply to: JDMather

yes, there is no "sheet" , i started as a regular solid, with an sketch -> extrusion... then i wondered if i cliked the convert to sheet metal i could use the tool "fold"

the reason im not modeling the finished form is that i want to make sure this technique actually works ... the deal is that im going to use this model of a square pipe for a laser cutting machine to cut  with laser the fold mannually ..so first i want to recreate everything , the joints and folds on the computer before i go to the real thing and discover i draw something wrong

i´ll copy a link of a video showing you something similar of what i want to do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be4LrGn0lPg

any ideas?

Message 5 of 18
sergio.rodhz
in reply to: IgorMir

hi, Igor thanks for taking the time to model my part.. the problem im having is that i want to use inventor to cut in laser and bend manually a square tube , so i converted a solid extrusion to sheet metal in hope that i could use the "fold" tool, all this to recreate the joints i want to cut with  laser then the folding. 

To explain myself better im sending you this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be4LrGn0lPg

i´ve done tons of works with sheet metal but this new kind of laser cutting machine came to us and we are trying to make some testing but im not really sure how to recreat them in Inventor to verify foldings, joints and dimensions.

Message 6 of 18
IgorMir

Hi Sergio,

I am wondering if the machine can actually read the folded (bent) model and apply the cuts in corresponding corners to the stock? Or does it read strait runs only?

Cheers,

Igor.

Message 7 of 18
sergio.rodhz

hi,
It can´t read folded models. Im trying to do it just to make sure the cuts,
joints and final dimesions are correct, and make a final technical
drawing , but at the end i´ll export the model without any modification
except the cutting.( just a straight steel square pipe or RHS) all the
bending and welding is done by hand.

--
*Sergio Rodríguez Hdz.*
Message 8 of 18
JDMather

You have still not attached your attempt here?

Is there a reason you cannot use the Bend Part command rather than Fold?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 9 of 18
JDMather

@sergio.rodhz wrote:

any ideas?

What version of Inventor are you using?

Message 10 of 18
IgorMir
in reply to: JDMather

Hi Sergio,

It is very interesting technology. I can see, where I could use it too... As for the model - this is by far the best I can offer. Please see the attached. The cut itself can be brushed up a bit, but the concept is there.

Cheers,

Igor.

@Anonymous wrote:

@sergio.rodhz wrote:

any ideas?

What version of Inventor are you using?

Message 11 of 18
IgorMir

Hi Sergio,

Here is a RHS with two bends in it. To change the angles of bends - edit Sketch2 and close it. The model will update. From here you can create an iPart with as many configurations as you want. The iPart approach will allow you to have the model either in straight format, or in bent one. Keep in mind, that all the bends have to be the last entries in the model tree. IOW - if the part needs some other cuts - they have to be introduced on a straight piece of stock, prior to bending.

Cheers,

Igor.

Message 12 of 18
IgorMir

Hi Sergio,

Here is a part I have done just for the fun of it.

Cheers,

Igor.

@sergio.rodhz wrote:

hi, Igor thanks for taking the time to model my part.. the problem im having is that i want to use inventor to cut in laser and bend manually a square tube , so i converted a solid extrusion to sheet metal in hope that i could use the "fold" tool, all this to recreate the joints i want to cut with  laser then the folding. 

To explain myself better im sending you this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be4LrGn0lPg

i´ve done tons of works with sheet metal but this new kind of laser cutting machine came to us and we are trying to make some testing but im not really sure how to recreat them in Inventor to verify foldings, joints and dimensions.

Message 13 of 18
sergio.rodhz

Thanks Igor! this is exactly what i needed to start this project!
Message 14 of 18
IgorMir

Hi Sergio,

Glad to be of help. Lucky you to have such a laser cutting technology available. I was trying to get a lot simplier parts made here, in Western Australia - nobody even wanted to look at the parts, let alone to quote on the job! I ended up just milling out the parts I needed in my own machine shop.

Cheers,

Igor.

Message 15 of 18
MIRKO_G

Hi
this work is very interesting for me too.
is there a method to perform modeling in reverse? that is from bent to the open?

I design the closed frame and would like to know the cut to pass it to the machine.

thank you

Autodesk Inventor 2013 Certified Professional
Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
Autodesk Inventor 2018 Certified Professional
Autodesk Certified Instructor - Gold
Message 16 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: MIRKO_G

@MIRKO_G 

Attach your *.ipt file here.

Message 17 of 18
IgorMir

To start with - it would be good to have a look at what do you design.

Cheers,

Igor.

@MIRKO_G wrote:

Hi
this work is very interesting for me too.
is there a method to perform modeling in reverse? that is from bent to the open?

I design the closed frame and would like to know the cut to pass it to the machine.

thank you

Message 18 of 18
Anonymous

This is what you need.

ready to be cutted as you upload the stepfile (unfolded offcourse)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report