Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexing Part(s) within assemby

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
357 Views, 4 Replies

Flexing Part(s) within assemby

Is there any way possible (either through add-ins or within Inventor or other methods) to animate deflection/flexing of parts? For instance, I would have a 3 part assembly which makes up a spiderlike component. The client wishes to make an animation showing the legs flexing when a vertical force is applied downward on the body (center), and back again. At this point I am not yet interested in calculating forces, I would just like to show the concept in an animation. The client's files would be coming to me in a neutral format.
I currently have IV-Pro 2009.

Thanks,
Chris
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

See the Scissors example in the Samples folder.

and/or
http://discussion.autodesk.com/adskcsp/thread.jspa?messageID=5090388
look at animating constraints or parameters in Inventor Studio.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks for the Reply JD,
I have reviewed the scissors example as you suggested. While it does display the result that I want, I also notice that the adaptive component in the assembly is a native Inventor file. The files that I am wondering about would be coming to be in ACIS or even STEP. Let the truth be known, the client is using SW, but does not seem to have time (or maybe the means) to make an animation. I told them I would look into the request before I committed to an answer. Is it possible with neutral 3D components?

Thanks,
Chris
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

>Is it possible with neutral 3D components?

to make them adaptive? AFAIK, no, IV has to know what to adapt. The rest of the parts in the assembly can be neutral files, but the adaptive file must be native IV.
Message 5 of 5
JDMather

>Is it possible with neutral 3D components?
Depends on the complexity of the part.
One option is to use the neutral file to rebuild from scratch.
Another option is Feature Recognition from http://labs.autodesk.com

Be sure they send you a SWx 2008 or ealier file or if ACIS set Options to v7 or you will need to download free Hoops ACIS viewer to convert to v7.

In any case someone is going to have to put in some work, there is no easy button in this case.

If you have Inventor Professional you might be able to use the FEA to do what you want with a dumb solid. Apply the forces and then edit the part within the context of the assembly with the visibility of the inactive parts turned on. They won't move but your FEA part will deflect. All depends on what you are after. I haven't tried the new Advanced Simulation Technology Preview to see what you might be able to do with that on an assembly http://labs.autodesk.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report