Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flexing corregated pipe

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
cadman777
863 Views, 11 Replies

flexing corregated pipe

anybody in here able to help me make a corregated pipe that flexes?
i want to connect one end to a fixed flange and the other end to a flange that moves at an angle vertically up and down (=bending the pipe so the free flange travels upward and downward at any angle relative to to the fixed flange horizontal c.l.)
thanks ... chris
... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: cadman777

I don't think Inventor is man enough......

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
anybody
in here able to help me make a corregated pipe that flexes? i want to connect
one end to a fixed flange and the other end to a flange that moves at an angle
vertically up and down (=bending the pipe so the free flange travels upward
and downward at any angle relative to to the fixed flange horizontal c.l.)
thanks ... chris
Message 3 of 12
mflayler2

Inventor can do this. Do you have Inventor Series, Simulation, Routed Systems, Tooling, or Professional? Can you also attach maybe a line drawing of what you want just to be a little more clear?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

he is talking about the corrugations changing in section which
they will do...............I for one would love to see Inventor do
that.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Inventor
can do this. Do you have Inventor Series, Simulation, Routed Systems, Tooling,
or Professional? Can you also attach maybe a line drawing of what you want
just to be a little more clear?
Message 5 of 12
M.Peppel

Hi Level 42,
i know that Inventor is "man enough.....:-)". Watch this http://img190.imageshack.us/i/cpl.mp4/ and tell us what you think.

cheers

Matthias
Nihil Ex Nihilo
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Got him.... 🙂

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
AIP 2008 SP3,
AIP 2009-SP1 PcCillin AV
AMD 64 x2 3.0 Ghz, 8GB RAM GeForce 9800GT 512MB

XP Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 7 of 12
cadman777

hi guys,

thanks for all the input.
although i tend to think that level42 is right, i'm interested in knowing for sure if it can or can't do it.
find attached a dwf to show what i'm after.

mark: i have aip2009

mpeppel: thanks for the model. unfortunately it's not moving quite like i want. see attached pic to know how it needs to move.

note that the platform and pipe are constrained at their connection points as pin joints, and there are no angular constraints.

thanks for the help! ... chris
... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 8 of 12
mflayler2

Okay, I see what you are after now. To be honest I think if I played with it enough I could get it to work the way you are describing, but it seems like you already have it documented rather well for your intent. I think you would spend more time on the 100% digital model than what you would want to spend on the job. If the documentation is there is the model at this point picking poppy seeds from fly crap? How much does this matter in your digital prototype vs. time tricking Inventor or creating an elaborate workaround? However, some other things you might try:

1. Use a Flexible corrugated hose in the Tube and Pipe System with a tight Spline tension

2. One piece of corrugation patterned and bent with Bend Part and driven by parameters

Just spitballing here, but they are some ideas. Thats about all I am going to do on Father's Day today 🙂

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 9 of 12
cadman777

Mark,
Thanks
I agree, which is why I put my model together that way.
The only thing that really matters is this:
1. I did the kinematics myself, with a scrutinizing eye on any problems within the assembly (=collisions, over-stretching, etc)
2. the mfgr of the flex pipe gives me realistic +&- tolerances, and they are w/i my envelopement of movement
Otherwise, no need to split hairs on a carrier anchor cable.
Also, I thought about using the pipe module to do it the way you say, but that would cause unnecessary complications in my GA (piping crashes a LOT for the most part since Release 10, so I use it sparingly).
Your #2 option sounds good too, but I tried it, and after an hour of various & sundry permutations, couldn't get it to work right. That's why I contacted this forum. I figured maybe someone else did it already and could shoot me a model.
I do this kind of thing enough to want to know, but I can begrudgingly live without it.
... Chris
... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Corrugated pipes are wavy concave/convex tube in one
piece. I don't see a corrugated pipe moving just individual sections of a cable
tube, that is not drawn as a continuous item.

Hi
Level 42, i know that Inventor is "man enough.....:-)". Watch this
http://img190.imageshack.us/i/cpl.mp4/ and tell us what you think. cheers
Matthias
Message 11 of 12
gretbrough

This thread seems to imply that there is corrugated pipe or hose available in the Inventor Tube and Pipe Styles. Where is it? Can anyone help? I need to do a route of flexible corrugated nylon conduit for a moving platen, and I don't see any corrugated styles in the Tube and Pipe library. (Using Inventor Pro in PDS 2014). Thanks.

Message 12 of 12
blair
in reply to: gretbrough

I would just use an existing flexible tube or publish my own (OD and ID are then correct) and change the appearance to match something that looks close for appearance sake.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report