Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Mentor
pball
Message 1 of 2 (348 Views)

Flexible Roller Chain

348 Views, 1 Replies
10-17-2012 02:32 PM

I wanted to model up some roller chain that could move and I followed an example in an older post. The end result is it sort of works with a few links but the links some time collapse ontop of each other and when the whole loop of chain is assembled it won't move any more.

I'm not really concerned about making this work as a static assembly is all that's required. However it would be nice to figure a way to make this work. I've attached the assembly and parts. The chain is assembled using inserts between the inner and outer links and those are transitionally contrained to a surface path.

Also I'm not sure if it's possible or at least practical but can the chain be tied to a sprocket so they turn together, this really isn't needed and is just an out there question.

Valued Mentor
BLHDrafting
Message 2 of 2 (333 Views)

Re: Flexible Roller Chain

10-17-2012 05:39 PM in reply to: pball

These flexible things cause troubles. I suggest you stick with the Power Transmission/Roller Chains static part/iam output unless you REALLY need to animate the chain or REALLY need to show the chain links. While the IDW view of the chain does not look perfect it is representative of the chain. The only extra we do is manually add and constrain the joiner (conn link) as it is not in the Roller Chains generator.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blh.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2013 PDS Premium SP2 Update 3 (Build 200), Vault 2013 Workgroup Update 2 (Build 17.2.9.0)
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.