Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexible Assembly

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Alan_Partridge
661 Views, 8 Replies

Flexible Assembly

Hi,

I'm looking for some advise on flexible assemblies.

My model includes 4 identical hydraulic ram sub assemblies in a main assembly.

I want to be able to move each of these rams independant of one another inside the main assembly.

Can this be done?

I don't want to have to model each ram as individual parts in the main assembly.

Cheers

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: Alan_Partridge

I want to be able to move each of these rams independant of one another inside the main assembly.

Can this be done?

Yes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9

Would you mind explaining how I do it?

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

Right click on your sub-assemblies and set them to Flexible.

Attach your assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 9

I've set both of the rams to flexible on the RHS of the assembly but when trying to move the clamp arm down it refuses to move.

I've attached the assembly.  Hopefully it works.  (The model is still ongoing at the moment so it is a bit of a mess).

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

An assembly file (*.iam) is only a list of hyperlinks to the part files (*.ipt) and a record of assembly constraints (and a bit more).

You must include the part files.

Give the size of your iam file you will probably have to share through Autodesk360 link.

Save As Pack and Go to a single folder first.  (skip the extraneous stuff)

Message 7 of 9
Mark_Wigan

hey Alan, just make sure that the ram can move when you are actually in the ram assembly. (ensure you constrain it in the way you need to act in real life, use closed centre distances and open centre distances etc correctly) etc. then when the ram assembly resides in a parent assembly, just make it flexible like JDM mentions...

the flexible option does not influence any changes back into the ram assembly, it merely allows you to influence the ram assembly from a higher level assembly... if that makes any sense. there will be some wiki help on the topic too & some training files in the help resources.
best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 8 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

I don't know if this is because you didn't include the parts - but the browser does not show the subs set as Flexible.

Flexible.PNG

Message 9 of 9

Thanks Mark.

Your post made me go and check the ram assembly.  I had forgotten to remove the contraint on the ram which had stopped the piston moving in and out.

Works perfect now.

Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report