Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flatten Part Error

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jody.beck
2790 Views, 11 Replies

Flatten Part Error

I am very new to Inventor and have hit a problem trying to flatten a part that I can not solve. I need the part to flatten in order to get a reasonable idea of the shape that needs to be CNC laser cut later. I get the following error: "Could not split between bend and plate. Please check if there is a relief gap so the bend can be deformed". Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Jody

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: jody.beck

Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.
(End of Folded on sheet metal parts EOF)
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

Use IE if Chrome or other brower giving trouble with attachments. (or the other way around)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 12
jody.beck
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for your help. IE did the trick.
Message 4 of 12
JDMather

As a beginner, you should not use Adaptivity.

Never ever use zero (0) length dimensions.

I will fix this up and post back with solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 12
jody.beck

What is the proper way to orient a line, circle, etc. to the origin? Do you make a coincident constraint? Thanks for your help, Jody
Message 6 of 12
JDMather

If you have Inventor set up correctly - Inventor should automatically create the (coincident and other) constraints.

I posted my solution above.

If you haven't read this, you might go through this.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

Message 7 of 12
jody.beck

I can't thank you enough. Great Job! I definitely have got a lot to learn. Other than formal training which I hope to get soon, do you have any suggestions for understanding the basics of Inventor. Thanks, Jody
Message 8 of 12
maggiemQLBAP

Hello I am having the same problem, could you walk me through the steps on how to fix this? I Attached the compressed zip file like you requested. Thanks, Maggie

Message 9 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: maggiemQLBAP

It will be sometime tomorrow till I will be on a machine with Inventor 2018.

In the meantime, you should load the Updates for 2018.

I can tell you that I will have to start over from scratch.

If you Measure your part you will see that most dimensions do not make logical sense.

You should (almost) never use the Fold command unless you have manually calculated Bend Allowances and included them in your sketch.  This is too much work and not necessary.  Model in finished form and Inventor will take care of this for you.

This part is trivial to (properly) model compared to the technique that was (incorrectly) used.

Edit: Also, you very very sure that your Design Intent is for zero radius bends?

Message 10 of 12
maggiemQLBAP

Thanks for getting back so quick. I will make the updates. 

Also I have no clue what the bend radius is I just know that we send these to a sheet metal manufacturer who will follow the dimensions on the finished folded part and make the changes accordingly.

Message 11 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi Maggie,

There are probably more than one error in the Folded part. Take a look at Fold7. Sketch9 is not created properly. Also the fold line is going across another bend. This is not a good practice. Look for other areas with similar problem. After you fix them all, Flat Pattern should work.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 12
JDMather

Turn on your sound...

(Also examine the Attached *.ipt file.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report