Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flatten A Curved Part

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
joe12345
702 Views, 5 Replies

Flatten A Curved Part

I tried following the advice in this thread  but to no avail. We need to fabricate a curved component but in order to do so we must first flatten it. Usually when I come across something like this I just do the math and draw it out by hand but I really need to learn how to have autodesk do it. Most of the literature I found was not very explicit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(I'd attach an example file but that 1.5 mb limit sort of removes that capability)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: joe12345

@joe12345 wrote:
(I'd attach an example file but that 1.5 mb limit sort of removes that capability)

Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.
(End of Folded on sheet metal parts EOF)
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
joe12345

Well at least I learned a cool way to compress an ipt Smiley Happy. Never realized that it would reduce the file size just by doing that. Sadly it's still 8 mb but that's small enough to upload to a cloud host (in this case fileswap).  

Message 4 of 6
mcgyvr

Now here is another tip.. Get a dropbox account so we don't have to wait for 30 minutes or create an account just to download that file.. I'm outta here in 15 minutes so I'm not able to help you today.. sorry.

With dropbox you can put stuff into the "public" folder then just right click on it and select "copy public link" then post that.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 6
CCarreiras

Hi!

Isn't a typical part to produce bending with press brake or die formed.

This part as to be made with plastic deformation, it means that in some part of the process, the thickness will vary across the part, so the first rule needed for inventor flat it's violated. This part will never flat with inventor.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
stevec781

I havent looked at the part but I suspect the solution will be to export it to Rhino and use the smash command.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report