Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat pattern from derived & mirrored sheet metal part, IV2009

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Steve_Bahr
1842 Views, 23 Replies

Flat pattern from derived & mirrored sheet metal part, IV2009

Greetings.

I created a sheet metal part with multi-edge flanges; the part unfolded no problem. Now, I need an exact, mirrored copy of that part [new part number]. My first attempt was a mirrored component at the assembly level. The part was mirrored but it would not unfold. My next attempt was a derived part with the mirrored option selected. This part, too, was mirrored but would not unfold either.

"Help" tells me that..."In sheet metal parts, mirroring flanges or contour flanges created using multi-edge select is not supported." Is this why the flat pattern fails?

Is there a workaround? I'd hate to create the mirrored part from scratch when I all need is reverse bends.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Steve Bahr...since 1962.
jdits7
in reply to: Steve_Bahr

Make sure that you set the thickness of the mirrored part the same as the source part. It has happened to me a few times.

jdits7
jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
Message 3 of 24
JDMather

>"Help" tells me that..."In sheet metal parts, mirroring flanges or contour flanges created using multi-edge select is not supported." Is this why the flat pattern fails?

That means you can't create the mirrored feature. You have created the mirrored part. My bet is that you sheet metal Style doesn't match the part. Should be an easy fix.

If that isn't the problem can you attach the file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 24
Steve_Bahr

Gold star for you! Thanks!
Steve Bahr...since 1962.

Thanks, JD. I just set the sheet thickness in the new part to match the original, as was stated earlier, and the problem, as you stated, was an easy fix.

Steve
Steve Bahr...since 1962.

In my specific case, it would be better to be able to derive directly the flat pattern, and use it as my derived component in a new assembly (component origins and planes would be much better handled).

Once the sheet metal styles are matching, I can walkaround the issue simply unfolding the derived part.

Does anyone know how to directly "derive the flat pattern" of a sheet metal part?
Massimo Frison
CAD R&D // PDM Admin · Hekuma GmbH
Message 7 of 24

Hi ing.frison,

You can also create a copy of the original part and then mirror the entire part at the part level, without the need for deriving the part. Sometimes it's preferred to use the derive method, but other times this method works just fine. There's an example at this link:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Is-it-possible-to-create-sheet-metal-part-by-mirrori...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 24
freesbee

I guess I did not express myself correctly.

I have no issues with mirroring sheet-metal parts, and with obtaining flat patterns of the mirrored part (I understood where the most frequent mistakes are, and could solve it without any problem).

I need to make a "logical assembly" with the flat pattern of one sheet metal component. This "logical assembly" is only for representation purposes, and will not be buit in reality. The ideal solution would be to make a new derived part, deriving the "Flat Model" instead of the "Folded Model", but I cannot figure what I am doing wrong.

Anyone has any suggestion how to do this procedure?

Massimo Frison
Message 9 of 24
JDMather
in reply to: freesbee

You are not doing anything wrong - can't be done.
But you could right click on the flat as some other solid file format and then assemble these.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 10 of 24
freesbee

I'm sorry: I don't get it.

I have searched everywhere how to assemble a flat model, without success. Could you be a little bit more precise?

Massimo Frison
Message 11 of 24
JDMather

RIght click on the flat pattern.
What options to save do you get?
Right click on the flat pattern node in the browser.
What options to save to you get?

Save as dwg or sat and then open that file and save as ipt.
Open iam file and Place Component the ipt file(s).

Message 12 of 24
-niels-

I'm not sure i fully understand, but maybe you could derive your sheet metal part and then use the "unfold/refold" functions to make the flat?

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 13 of 24
freesbee
in reply to: JDMather

Dear JDMather,

this way I would loose the associativity with my "folded model", so it's absolutely "no-go".

Dear -niels-,

to this point I was already (see my first post in the previouse page). Of course it's a valid walkaround, but it's not perfect.

Today I finally got to the point. thanks to a tip from a very good and very expert friend from Italy. Here's how.

First of all: it is not possible to derive the flat pattern of a sheet metal component. It's official now.

...but... Smiley Surprised

...we can create an iPart with a member that is "unfolded".

With this iPart we can build an iAssembly with the unfolded member/members...

...and we are done: that's how to make the drawing of the "unfolded assembly", without having to bother about multiple files or non-matching iProperties Smiley LOL

(of course you should be quite good with math and trigonometry to match all the angular joints that become flat joints, especially if your angles are not simple fractions of 360°, but that's absolutely a minor issue!!)

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
MaX - Autodesk Inventor rejected certification!!!

Massimo Frison
Message 14 of 24
jtt1301

What information in the table do you put to make a member be in the flat (unfolded)...i am trying to make an assembly from two folded parts in their flat state.

Message 15 of 24
freesbee
in reply to: jtt1301

@jtt1301 wrote:

What information in the table do you put to make a member be in the flat (unfolded)...i am trying to make an assembly from two folded parts in their flat state.

enable or suppress the "unfolding" feature(s) that will flatten your model

BTW

That was one of my first attempts a long time ago...

...working in a business where we constantly need to be able to represent cylindrical/conical stuff on a flattened layout, I had some other and better ideas in the meantime. Unfortunately I cannot post images or drawings because I don't own the intellectual property of the product (but I own the intellectual property of the solution 😉 ).

Point 1: flat patterns cannot be assembled. The best we can do is to assemble a derived sheet metal part that has been flattened, if we are good with handling origins.

Point 2: sometime there is no way to make a flat pattern (CASE 2) but you might still need a flat representation

Point 3 (this should also be mentioned): this task in the 2D world was quite easy. Unfortunately with the upcoming of 3D modeling programs it has became a real mess!!!

The strategy I'm going to describe will give you a possibility to solve this issue in the 3D modeling environment. The only other alternative: make a DWG with AutoCAD and forget about associativity.

THE CASE (1)

In the heat exchanger business, suppliers often like to have a flat representation of the vessel innen plate with the position of all guiding plates of the heating chamber. They mark the position of the plates with a marker in the flat state (easier to measure 😉 ), they roll the main part, so that they find easily the right place where to weld each guiding plate once the main part of the vessel is rolled (second 57 of the video in the next example will give you a visual idea).

This image is an example where the guiding plates are replaced by a half pipe, but the basic concept stays the same and at least we can see the pipe.

HorizontalDryer.jpg

THE CASE (2)

In certain cases we have some agitators for the inside of such machines, where all shovels/pins/mixing blades have a "non really regular" position (the need comes from "process specific" issues, but the arrangement can be very strange, or "very skew" if we want to call it like that). Long story short: take a look at second 2:17 (and also 1:10) of this video to see what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-0ZUVSjirg

those pins are NOT on a rectangular pattern: they are on a skewed rectangular pattern (once linearized) because if we measure with X the distance of each pin from the shaft bearing there are no 2 pins with the same X

Also in this case the producer prefers to have a "flat view" of the shaft itself and of the shaft assemby to understand how and where each element should be mounted (yes, they are also not all the same with different angles and so on).

THE SOLUTION (currently the only reasonable that I could find)

Leave the iFactory idea of my previous post: I was driven on the wrong way by a good friend who probably never used inventor for "production purposes" (it worked, but it was a mess, and I repeat: he's a good friend 😉 ).

1. In both cases I need to have a flat representation of a part/assembly that WILL NOT be produced

2. Ideally all measures of the flat elements should follow the real one (guiding plates position, pins/blades twisting angles...).

3. you need to be good with math (in particular trigonometry)

4. you need to be good with linking parameters (only parameters, so no need to derive)

5. you need to be very sistematic in naming (and commenting) parameters

6. you need to be inventive

Step 1:

create a simplified flat version of your main component being driven by parameters derived from the REAL component.

.for the drum innen sheet: make it flat, or derive it as sheet metal and unfold it depending on how precise you want/need it (at least now you still have the option to do it). So that you can mount the flattened part.

.for the shaft: no way to derive it. You need to rebuild a flat element where the position of the holes (pins are screwed into the shaft) is driven by parameters derived from the real shaft, and put your best trigonometry at work to linearize those values and skew the patterns properly.

Step 1b:

In case you have a drum with some round guiding plates (second 0:57 of the video, grey elements on the teal sheet metal), you need to build new elements deriving the values (thickness, width and arc) from the real ones. Of course your "arc" parameter will have to be converted into the lenght of the linearized element. This could be a minor case but in our business it always happens

Step 2:

Now you have the basis to build your flat assembly (linear guiding plates, pins and shovels will be actually the same, but mounted onto a flat component; rolled guiding plates will be substituted by their linearized version).

Step 3:

And here comes the trick: this flat assembly should be linked to the mounting parameters from the REAL assembly.

In some cases values can be simply reused (twisting angle of a blade), in other cases they will need to be linearized (the polar position of the guiding plate n°3 will have to be converted to a distance that will place the guiding plate n°3 at a certain offset from the edge of the flat element).

Step 4:

Now it's the right time to start playing with the BOM of the FLAT_assembly.iam so that you position numbers will match your REAL_assembly.iam

I know, it's a little bit annoying but at the end of the story you'll be happy that everything works fine. and that position numbers are the same.

This approach will generally work better than trying to build an iFactory, where you have to do the same job with the teasing additional task of suppressing and re-enabling constrains depending if you are in the rolled or in the flat assembly.

If you have been diligent at the end of the story your FLAT model will reflect the REAL one, your supplier will be happy because he will be able to understand the drawing, your supervisor will be happy because your modelling strategy is safe and your boss will (should) be happy because you solved a problem that nobody else managed to solve 🙂

NOTE:

It's your decision whether to place "mounting parameters" in the REAL_assembly.iam and link them from the FLAT_assembly.iam, or placing those parameters in the REAL_shaft.ipt and link them both from the REAL_assembly.iam and from the FLAT_assembly.iam

The former strategy has the advantage that you can see immediately the effect of changing one value in the REAL_assembly.iam, the latter has the advantage that circular dependencies are better avoided (linking IAM parameters from IPTs is normally a safer strategy than linking from IAMs. Linking IPT patameters from IAMs should be used only for emergencies and as the very last resource).

CONCLUSION

What to say... honestly this is one of the toughest challenges that I took in the past couple of years, but after a little bit struggling at the beginning we got to a functioning solution that we keep reusing each time we end up in that situation.

I hope it helps 😉

Massimo Frison
Message 16 of 24
IgorMir

Are you talking about creating 2D drawings using Inventor? That's what I got reading through your posts. I could be wrong though...

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 17 of 24
jtt1301
in reply to: IgorMir

I am trying to make a flat pattern from a piece of copper bar stock that has been formed in two different directions of the material.  It has horizontal and vertical bends, but I need to get a flat pattern so I have the proper "blank length" that is needed to make this part listed on the drawing.  I need to make a post also really on what the best way it would be to make this part.  What I am doing currently as a"work around" since I can not get a true flat is to take the formed part and derive two components from the formed part, so I can have two separate parts, one with the horizontal bends in the material and one with the vertical.  Inventor will give me two flat patterns (one for each derived component) when I do it this way, but is not able to do it as a whole, as there are different bend radi and thickness parameters to achieve the horizontal bending vs. the vertical bending.  So I have these two flats that I need to make one, and I can take the derived components and make a third separate part that is just a flat that I make using the info from the two flat patterns I get, but this third part would not be derived or have any link back to my original part.

Message 18 of 24
freesbee

...stomach feeling: 2 strategies in mind. I'll get back to it later on this evening or eventually over the weekend. I hope it's not too late....

Massimo Frison
Message 19 of 24
freesbee

Ok, so the first strategy (the short and easy) is already dead.

Math will be the only way. I need more time...

Massimo Frison
Message 20 of 24
freesbee

Ok, so the second idea that came to my mind (the short and easy) was that "maybe" the command "fold" could bend something not on the "sheet metal" direction.

Trash.

We don't need sheet metal for this, just some math 🙂

I would solve it this way: any change you will perform in the BarBENT.ipt will generate a change in the BarFLAT.ipt

You have the "blank lenght" of the bar in both parts, so that you can use it for your BOM or whatever (actually if you only need the blank lenght for the BOM you don't even need the flat bar model).

Only parameters you have to play with according to your experience are the position of the 2 neutral planes of the 2 different types of bends (I don't know realistic values, sorry). Whatever you change, the flat bar will be driven by the bent one.

Check the distances of the holes from the rod ends, and enjoy!! 😉

BentBars.PNG

Massimo Frison

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report