Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat pattern cuts

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
dwenteiii
706 Views, 8 Replies

Flat pattern cuts

Didn't find anything in a search, so please link to a thread if it does reference this problem.

When creating cuts, sometimes the cut goes through a bend.  This makes the flat pattern have countoured edges, and the flat pattern has extra lines.  Is there a setting I can turn on so the cuts are limited to keeping a straight cut?  Please see image attached.

Flat Pattern Issue.jpg

Inventor Professional 2017
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CCarreiras
in reply to: dwenteiii

Please, post the file.

Only with the picture is dificult to understand why it happends, we need to see how you cut to find a solution.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
dwenteiii
in reply to: CCarreiras

The cut goes through the radius of the bend.  I can move the cut, but I'm curious if there is a setting which makes a straight cut through the thickness of the material without creating countours in the flat pattern.  This makes extra lines in the .dxf obviously.  I have limited access to licensing of AutoCAD to double check and edit these .dxfs.  And I don't always notice strange happenings in the flat pattern when modeling.  Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

You can adjust the chord tolerance for those in the DXF export.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 9
CCarreiras

Hi!

It's never a good idea to cut over the bends.

Check the video to avoid that.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108503790/face-bend.mp4

You can also use unfold tool, cut and refold to have also a good result.

Clipboard01.png

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
dwenteiii
in reply to: JDMather

I'm not seeing chord tolerance.  I've got Linear tolerance under geometry tab and layers; but that's about it.

Message 7 of 9
dwenteiii
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thank you, I normally use flange.  Did you create a sketch from the edge of face1 with the dimensions of the flange and work from there?

Message 8 of 9
CCarreiras

Yes, in this case.

If you cut  thru the bends,it's not a good idea, sometimes you even can remove the conditions to flat the sheet, therefore is safer if you use the face+bend, or use other process: after create the flange unfold it, make the cut, and then fold it again.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

Yes, this is what I was referring to -

Spline Simplification.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report