Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flange Creation: Auto-Miter, bend position, and face size problem

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
EKEM3
536 Views, 13 Replies

Flange Creation: Auto-Miter, bend position, and face size problem

Hello

I am new to Inventor and new to working with sheet metal. So I apologize if this problem is easy to solve, I have tried looking for a simple solution but cannot find one yet.

The problem seems simple:

I would like to create a simple panel from sheet metal. Inventor automatically creates a miter when I create several flanges for the panel. I do not want this miter.

I tried several things to solve this problem, such as changing styles and un-selecting the "Apply auto-miter" in the flange dialogue to no avail.

The solution I came up with is to create the flange using "Bend from the adjacent face" option in the flange dialogue, this option increases the size of the panel so I have to resize the original face I made to account for the increase. Considering doing many panels of different sizes and gauges, it is a time consuming thing to do. I would rather not create a program to solve this particular problem.

Is there a simple way to create flanges without the miter and without increasing the size of the face?

Hope my question is clear enough. Any advice is appreciated!

Images for clarity:

What I do not want:

flange1.jpg

What I want (but with retaining the original size of the face):

flange2.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Jacob_Butler
in reply to: EKEM3

Are you talking about the corner relief? Are you trying to get rid of it?

in reply to: Jacob_Butler

Yes, if that's what you call it. (the part that is missing in the second image)
Message 4 of 14
Jacob_Butler

Well there will need to be some sort of relief, go to the corner tab and try out different reliefs. If you don't have reliefs there will be collision. I would try changing the auto miter to something like .01 and messing with the relief shapes until you get the desired result.

@EKEM3 wrote:

Hello

I am new to Inventor ... 

Attach your *.ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 14
EKEM3
in reply to: JDMather

Seems like I cannot change anything within the "Corner" tab.

Attached is the part file.

Message 7 of 14
EKEM3

Not sure I understand what you are saying, or perhaps you don't understand what I'm asking. Look at the second picture; I made a different kind of bend fixing my problem, but it does not maintain the measurements I need (it increases the length of the panel) Now I can fix this problem by manually changing the face dimensions. The question: is there a more simple way to do this?
Message 8 of 14
Jacob_Butler

I'm unable to open your file as I only have Inventor 2014 installed, are you using 2015? Also, on the corner tab, you are unable to change anything? Can you leave auto miter on and change the relief shape to tear and set gap to .01?

Not able to change anything in the Corner tab, really frusterating as I feel this auto-mitering could be the source of the problem.

Here is how it looks:

flange3.jpg

Message 10 of 14
Jacob_Butler

Can you save it as a STEP file? I will remodel it and see what I can come up with.

I am now able to uncheck it before I apply the flange. Still get same result.

I think the issue is that the first flange does not get fully cut to accomodate the creation of the second flange. If I apply the same flange to all four sides at the same time it is not an issue. But I want to have different size flanges on each side.

Still, the only solution I have is to use "bend from adjacent face" and change the face size to accomodate for the size enlargement. I am still trying to find a more simple solution though. Doesn't seem to make sense to me that Inventor would not have an easier way to do this.

Attaching the step file is not working in this forum for some reason. It's very simple; just a face and two adjacent flanges using default thickness.

Image for clarity: Outlined in red is what I do not want. Outlined in yellow is the part of the flange that was automatically cut.

flange4.jpg

Message 12 of 14
Allen_Hart

I think you want to add Corner Seam features prior to the last two flanges.  Is the attached part what you are wanting?

Allen

Message 13 of 14
EKEM3
in reply to: Allen_Hart

Yes, exactly!

I knew there had to be a simple solution, interesting how I could miss it.

Very much appreciated, thank you!
Message 14 of 14
DavidKuhlmann

Here is another way to do it using loop select for the first flange with the two bend intersection relief shape set to tear on the sheet metal corner tab.

David
Inventor Professional 2023.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report