Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fixed 3D spline

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
seytayfun
1315 Views, 9 Replies

fixed 3D spline

after i create a spline on a 3D sketch, i am not able to drag any vertex or any points of spline. it is simply stuck there. after i right click on a point, the only useble command it gives me is to activate handle and that is not what i really need. 

can someone tell me why and how to repair it? 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: seytayfun

Attach your ipt file here.

BTW  - I (almost) always derive a 3D sketch from 2D sketches - much easier to create and edit.

Knot and Vacuum tutorials in my signature are good examples.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
seytayfun

Hi thanks for the reply

here is the drawing with a simple spline. i just cant do anything with spline. if you are able to move vertex points then something is wrong with my settings.

thanks

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

I had no problem moving points on your spline.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 10
Martin_Goodland

You are using 2012 or older. The ability to drag a 3D sketch spline was added to 2013 which I assume is what JD is using hence he can drag your spline but you can not.

You need to edit 3D sketch and right click on the point you want to move, then select 3D move.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 6 of 10
seytayfun
in reply to: Martin_Goodland

Thanks JD and Martin

Yes I use 2012. Inventor 2012 does not seem to be a user-friendly program for creating smooth surfaces. so what is the good apps to create 3D surfaces like hood of a car for example? Inventor Fusion perhaps?

Thank you

Message 7 of 10
Martin_Goodland

Inventor 2013 has good improvements to 3D splines with the addition of CV Splines, 3D drag & 3D sketch mirror so you could give it a try. I would not see Fusion as a good way to go but you could also look at Alias Design but it depends on what you want at the end of the day. Alias does surfacing but not manufacturing drawings.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 8 of 10
JDMather

@seytayfun wrote:

Inventor Fusion perhaps?

Thank you

What problem are you having with Inventor? (you didn't include file, have you gone through my surface tutorials?)

Why would a free program (Inventor Fusion) be more functional than an expensive program (Autodesk Inventor)?

If you can't do the design in Inventor then I suggest you look at Alias (Automotive).

Are you a student?  Is this a student project?

I'm not sure what you mean by "user friendly".  If you are looking for an Easy Button for a design like you describe, I don't think you will find it.  This sounds like a professional endeavor and will require a professional level of preparation.

Message 9 of 10
seytayfun
in reply to: JDMather

I will be called for an interview by a company that uses Intentor in their surface modeling. So i just wanted to practice a little as I have used Solidworks for this before. Thanks for the help and advices.

Message 10 of 10
JDMather

@seytayfun wrote:

So i just wanted to practice a little as I have used Solidworks for this before. Thanks for the help and advices.

There are SolidWorks surfacing tutorials and the equivalent Inventor surfacing tutorials in my signature.

I apologize that I have not kept them up to date as the software has changed - but in general there is very little difference between SolidWorks and Inventor.  You can find the link to the tutorials in my signature.

Since you have previous experience I suggest you start with the Vacuum tutorial which is more up-to-date than the others.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report