Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Using Sheet Metal - Need Crtics....

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
325 Views, 5 Replies

First Time Using Sheet Metal - Need Crtics....

Hello all,

I have ventured my way into the sheet metal realm and fought my way through making my first sheet metal part and flat pattern.  This part was made without any tutorials/ guides and is relatively simple (3 90 degree bends).  I would like some feedback on my workflow and possibly easier/alternate ways to of achieved the exact part I produced. I am more than certain I did wayyyyyy too much work (as Mr JD Mathers likes to put it).  Smiley LOL One thing I know I did correct was fully constraining eeeeeeeeeevvvvvvverrrrry sketch!.  I have attached the file below as well as a snapshot of my Model Browser (for those who just want to take a peak).

Corner Bracket - Forum.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

I didn't check this for accuracy.  Quick example.

Now that I understand the geometry I could eliminate the second mirror feature.

After bit more thought - I could do as a Revolve rather then Mirror and eliminate the 45° plane as well - but I think I would rather do as mirror.

There is problaby merit to doing those chamfers as features as well rather than in the sketch, but I thought I would go for the shortest feature list.

On third thoughts - this one bugs me.  I'm going to have to start over from scratch and do it right.

Corner Bracket.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you JD.  Ahhh mirror command (doh!) Would of saved me a slew of steps as well as grouping the Corner Rounds.  So as far as simplifying the part is concerned, my use of the tools availble were correct?

Message 4 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Your part was good, especially for a first attempt at sheet metal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

Here is another solution - I like this one better as it uses datums for you dimensions without calculations.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks JD! I think I am starting to get a decent grasp on sheet metal (or atleast the introductory aspect of it).  I appreciate your time and effort.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report