Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find part in assy from BOM

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
krisd
1033 Views, 13 Replies

Find part in assy from BOM

Hi, I've created a BOM of parts from a large assembly and it has an item just listed as pt.1. I have no idea what this is or how to find it. Any ideas please?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Cadmanto
in reply to: krisd

If you RC on the parts list and select "Bill of Materials".  Once that is open, select this part and there is an option to open it.  Then maybe, once open you can trace back to where it is used and located.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 14
BarryZA
in reply to: Cadmanto

I am playing around with a similar idea, I want a master assembly where the BOM includes the sub-assemblies drawing titles. Ideally I would like some sort of link/hyperlink that would take me/the buyer straight to the drawing.

And ideally the whole thing as a PDF Robot LOL

I want one drawing referencing everything, 2d and 3d files. I have spent too much time hunting for drawings. (my own fault anyway I know). So I suppose a top-down workflow with a drawing at the top.

Message 4 of 14
blair
in reply to: BarryZA

I use the Auto-Sort function which arranges the parts in the browser window by number. It at least gets them into a sequence other than how they were inserted into the IAM. It will help in locating the part.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 14
blair
in reply to: blair

Autosort in located: Assembly>Productivity> A-Z icon You may need to install the Productivity Tool kit shipped with Inventor.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 14
krisd

No I'm trying to find out what and where the part is in the assy having found it listed in the BOM.
Message 7 of 14
krisd

Nearly there but this and several other parts are greyed out and I can't open them.
Message 8 of 14
blair

By doing the Auto-Sort, the items in the Model Browser will be in sequence, this will make it easy to locate the item, then RMB on the item in the Browser and select "Find In Window". Inventor will then zoom-in on the item in the model window.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 14
krisd

Who say's computers don't have a mind of their own? Ilisted every part in the Assy browser and still could not find these parts. This morning I turned on the computer and they were both listed in the BOM !!! They are different bearings, same material and so were just listing as pt.1 + material. File path and everything else was blank. Today it's changed it's mind. Amazing. Must be female! lol
Message 10 of 14
Cadmanto

Another thought.  Did you ever try using this search function at the top of the browser?

FILTER.JPG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 14
krisd

Worth know thanks but I don't think the parts was in the browser only the BOM because of 2 pt.1's with similar properties. Anyway I tried this out so that's something else I've learnt.
Message 12 of 14
krisd

'Scuse my grammer, I just had a very painful tooth out and I'm not thinking straight!
Message 13 of 14
Cadmanto

If it was a painful tooth that got removed, then your pain is gone, right?  Smiley Very Happy Or is it worse then before.  Either way, just in time for turkey day. 

As far as the browser, I guess I am confused, if it shows up in the BOM then I would think it would appear somewhere in the browser as well.

I did not read al the responses, so forgive me if this has already been covered.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 14 of 14
krisd

No I changed the browser to parts - 1700! - and looked through but I may have missed it. Not going thru' that lot too many times.
The anaesthetic from the tooth removal wore off in about 5 mins after 2 hrs. That was painful until painkillers kicked in.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report