Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

find model weight

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
MikeB
562 Views, 10 Replies

find model weight

is it possible to find out the weight of a model in lbs. after properties have been applied to it?
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
AlEtzkorn
in reply to: MikeB

Yes you can. RMB on the model name, top of the browser. Select Properties, and click on the Physical tab. You may have to update.

I caution though. If you are in an assembly and have parts that are not enabled or visible, it will still include them in the total weight.....

Why is that ADESK....I don't want to know how much parts a model weighs with parts that are not effectively in it. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if that's just the way it is.

Al
Message 3 of 11
MikeB

i see mass area and volume but not weight. Is there are formula to fiqure weight?
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Make the parts "reference" by RMB on the part in the assy, properties, occurance and checking reference. -- Sean Dotson, PE Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert http://www.sdotson.com Check the Inventor FAQ for most common questions www.sdotson.com/faq.html ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "AlEtzkorn" wrote in message news:4729134.1073573945591.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Yes you can. RMB on the model name, top of the browser. Select Properties, and click on the Physical tab. You may have to update. > > I caution though. If you are in an assembly and have parts that are not enabled or visible, it will still include them in the total weight..... > > Why is that ADESK....I don't want to know how much parts a model weighs with parts that are not effectively in it. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if that's just the way it is. > > Al
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Visibility and Enabling are visual aids and controlled by design views (idv). If you don't want the models to weigh anything then change them to a material with 0 density or in the case of upsidasium, a negative density. As Sean points out, you can also mark them reference. If they don't belong in the assembly, remove them. If, in the course of modeling you put in multiple iterations of parts and assemblies but leave them off and later want to remove them, there is a tool in iAssembly Tools for doing it (very dangerous so be careful using it). AlEtzkorn wrote: >Yes you can. RMB on the model name, top of the browser. Select Properties, and click on the Physical tab. You may have to update. > >I caution though. If you are in an assembly and have parts that are not enabled or visible, it will still include them in the total weight..... > >Why is that ADESK....I don't want to know how much parts a model weighs with parts that are not effectively in it. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if that's just the way it is. > >Al > >
Message 6 of 11
AlEtzkorn

This is an occasion where the lack of Configurations in IV Hurts me bad.

The Fixture I speak of has to have multiple instances of a couple of parts due to them having to be moved for checking different components. Since I can't as of yet see and easy way to do this, and design views isn't the easy way. I have to have multiple instances.

Now if I can just set some of them to Reference and it doesn't set the original .ipt to reference, then that may be the next step I try.

I am a newbie to IV...only been at it for 2 months.

So far this DG has been my biggest problem solver.

Thanks for the help so far and in the future guys.

Al
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Have you looked at Configuration Manager on sdotson.com? AlEtzkorn wrote: >This is an occasion where the lack of Configurations in IV Hurts me bad. > >The Fixture I speak of has to have multiple instances of a couple of parts due to them having to be moved for checking different components. Since I can't as of yet see and easy way to do this, and design views isn't the easy way. I have to have multiple instances. > >Now if I can just set some of them to Reference and it doesn't set the original .ipt to reference, then that may be the next step I try. > >I am a newbie to IV...only been at it for 2 months. > >So far this DG has been my biggest problem solver. > >Thanks for the help so far and in the future guys. > >Al > >
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Setting parts to "Reference" only affects the instance in the context of an assembly..... it doesn't/cannot be set at the part level. The same part (or an instance of the part) can be set to Reference in different assemblies. The tricky part is there are no visual clues as to which part/instance is set to Reference. QBZ "AlEtzkorn" wrote in message news:26723858.1073579354004.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > This is an occasion where the lack of Configurations in IV Hurts me bad. > > The Fixture I speak of has to have multiple instances of a couple of parts due to them having to be moved for checking different components. Since I can't as of yet see and easy way to do this, and design views isn't the easy way. I have to have multiple instances. > > Now if I can just set some of them to Reference and it doesn't set the original .ipt to reference, then that may be the next step I try. > > I am a newbie to IV...only been at it for 2 months. > > So far this DG has been my biggest problem solver. > > Thanks for the help so far and in the future guys. > > Al
Message 9 of 11
AlEtzkorn

Nope, Haven't had that much time to delve into Sean's Website. Working in a Tool shop keeps me buried most days.

I'll look into that when I get the chance.

I have been to Sean's site quite a few times, maybe I'll have to check it out at home to see what he's really got, what I have seen has been a great help.

Thanks again,
Al
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

I'm still trying to find the density for Unobtainium (Symbol: Umm).
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Obviously it's 0 so that you can achieve that minimum weight sales promised ;-) TomWaits wrote: > I'm still trying to find the density for Unobtainium (Symbol: Umm).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report