Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Film Wire modelling

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
609 Views, 10 Replies

Film Wire modelling

Surely someone has done this.......

I need to model a piece of film wire, the type commonly found in modern electronics such as laptops and smart phones consisting of two layers of polyimide sandwiching some copper tracks.

The trouble I am having is getting the polyimide to 'wrap' around the copper tracks, I just cant think how to do it.

It needs to look as realistic as possible so don't really want simple flat layers.

Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CCarreiras
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi...

Can you carry a image or a file?

Regards..

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Cadmanto

Dave,

Without providing an image of what you are looking for I can only guess.  Have you tried doing a sweep?

With profiles and guide curves?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

Sounds like Sweep.

Can you attach the ipt file of what you have attempted so far?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks for the quick response, I cant post pictures of the actual component Im affraid.

Its the orange stuff in the image below (you probably allready know that but just in caseSmiley Wink)

The way I have done it so far is by extruding the flat profile then bending it where needed as it is quite a complex shape that does not lend itself to sweeping unfortunately.

I really want to achieve a realistic look and doing it the way I am, (with actual material thickness) I cant as I end up with a gap between the polyimide layers where it is sat on top of the copper.

Maybe Im just being fussy but due to the extensive use of this type of thing in modern electronics is it to much to ask to have it looking right?

Message 6 of 11
Cadmanto

You are talking about the flex circuit.  Like it has been stated before I would look into doing a sweep.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 11
JDMather

You might also look into Trimmed and Split surface with Thicken.

You could attach a dummy file that doesn't give away any proprietary information.

At least then I would know what version of Inventor you are using (if I did an example in 2014 and you are using an earlier release - you would not be able to open my example).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 11
gsmith9810

One way...

The ribbon was created as a flat part.

The trace was a sweep on top of the flat part.

The part was subsequently bent (2x) to accommodate the ribbon flex.

-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks again for your replies, you have all been very helpfull.

I have now got it straight in my mind as to how to go about this and will have a another go soon.

My appologies for not attaching any parts as requested. My company really wouldnt like it, no matter what they where.

Message 10 of 11
CCarreiras

Hi!

Nice Challange.

Here is my contribute...

Regards

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions! Accept as Solution or Give Kudos! Kudos- Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Had another stab and this is what I came up with.

It may look a little odd because I have used 'nonsense' dimensions purely as an exersise and to show you guys the result of your assistance.Film wire.jpg

This is how I produced it......

It is a single part using multiple bodies.

Body 1 is the flat film on the underside, extruded from a sketch on its end. I then produced the upper layer of film, again by sketching its end profile and extruding from it. This became body 2 and created a series of 'tubes' that would eventually be for the copper tracks. At this point I put the bends in to give the basic shape of the finished film wire. I produced another sketch on the end and projected the 'tube' rectangles up from the two profiles I had already created. Creating sweeps from these rectangles and using the 'tubes' created by the two pieces of film as guides, I had my copper tracks. To finish it off I created a trim extrusion on the end to expose some of the copper tracks.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciatedSmiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report