Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filling irregular corners with weld; overlap groove welds with fillet welds

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
j_berry
2753 Views, 5 Replies

Filling irregular corners with weld; overlap groove welds with fillet welds

Using Inventor Professional 2013

In the attached assembly, I would like to fill the four corners (see Figure 1) with weld to make one smooth bead around the perimeter of the end cap rather than using fillet weld to lay down four linear beads along the edges. I accomplished this with a groove weld (see Figure 2). However, problems occurred (pasted below) when I attempt to weld this piece to a surface.

Error message:

"   Create Weld Feature: problems encountered while executing this command.
     example.iam: Errors occurred during update
       Fillet Weld 3: Could not build this Fillet Weld feature
         The attempted operation had problems trimming and discarding faces. Try with different inputs."

When I had the four original fillet weld beads, I could fillet weld this part to a surface no problem (see Figure 3). When I switched it to a groove weld to get the desired corner appearance, I get errors. I tried to mess around with the tick boxes in the groove weld dialog box to try to fix the problem but nothing helped.

Ultimately, my problem can be solved if I could simply fill the corner gaps without using the groove weld command. This would eliminate the errors associated with fillet welding over groove welds.

Let me know if the attached files do not work. This is my first time uploading an assembly and its associated part files.

Figure 1: Corner with fillet welds (need to fill that gap)

corner weld.png

Figure 2: Corner with groove weld (gap filled)

groove weld.png

Figure 3: Fillet welded (concave) to plate. Still need those corners filled.

welded o plate.png

AutoCAD Electrical 2013 SP2
Windows 7 Pro SP1
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
harco
in reply to: j_berry

You could try putting a fillet preparation on the end cap.

This allows the faces to chain giving a smooth weld.

See image

FILLET PREP.png

Message 3 of 6
j_berry
in reply to: harco

Thank you for the reply. It filled the corners and allowed a fillet weld to the plate, but gaps appear in the cocave weld to the plate.

chain fillet.png

AutoCAD Electrical 2013 SP2
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 4 of 6
Larron.Fritz5HADW
in reply to: j_berry

Hi guys... I'm curious if anyone found a solution to this one... I have a similar example of preferring to represent a rounded profile on fillet welds when transitioning corners.  I understand the need within inventor to create smooth profiles to get smoothly offset surfaces yet I am unable to figure our how to do so within the weld prep environment for edges that need to be rounded near it's mating orthogonal faces.  Example picture attached. 

Is there a way to reference the normal faces with offset or variable fillet command?  I can vary the entire length of the edge and even get the variable radius fillet command to create itself, but even that variable radius option has sharp edges that cannot then be selected as a separate feature to apply fillets to it's hard edges.  Second pic attached.

The weld bead will fail every time I try any combination of trying to smooth out the corners.  Any thoughts?

Message 5 of 6

@Larron.Fritz5HADW wrote:

...  Any thoughts?

Thought 1 - Attach your design here so that others can experiment with the actual design.

Thought 2 - Is the modeled weld bead actually needed, or will a weld symbol suffice (just like we commonly do for thread features)?

Thought 3 - If the weld bead is needed (for weight calculations or aesthetics or some other reason) and nobody here can figure out a technique using the Weld tools, then simply model the geometry in the same way you would model any other geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 6

Thanks so much JD.

1.)  I would attach the model, but everything internal is proprietary.  When I find time, I'll upload a test piece with those particular features modeled.

2.) The weld bead is indeed required to have all edges smooth welded with no seams, gaps, or sharp edges.  Everything must be truly smooth.

3.) -1 for productivity on Autodesk if that is the only solution.  I believe that approach would also loose some of the intelligence built into the accounting behind the scenes like you mention.  Is anyone using weld bead geometry to drive robotic welding?  If so, I would think those right angles would cause some potential trouble.

Thanks so much for your time and input! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report