Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fillet acting strange

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Fruity13
911 Views, 3 Replies

Fillet acting strange

Hello everyone,

I'm new at inventor and have done some tutorials already but not all. I've stopped at the 2nd assembly because I wanted to start a project of my own. Yet I have stumbled upon a strange behavior of the fillet command. It seems to work fine on one side of a part, but works odd on the other side. Inventor is telling me something is wrong but I can't pinpoint what it is I am doing wrong.

Can some wizards help me at this? I'm trying to fillet the handle of this part but this strange swirl happens.

Funny swirl (right side)                                          All is fine (left side)

swirl finished.png        fine finished.png

Now I don't know what happened. Can somebody tell me what I did wrong?

I'll put in the links to the part files below (Inventor 2013).

Left Plate (all is fine)

Right plate (swirly thingy)

Thank you for helping me out.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Fruity13

You are missing many (all) dimensions and many geometry constraints.  (become very familiar with Tangent constraints)

The origin location does not have any logic.

I recommend you set this project aside for a couple of days and take the time to go through these.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

Then I recommend that you approach this model with multi-body solids technique.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
Fruity13
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for taking the time to look at my issue.

I know some basics about constraints but I'm still struggling with them. The reason there are almost no constraints in this sketch is because the sketch is copied over from an image. I have no exact measurements nor needs for it to be constrained or centered in any way.

In the previous tutorials I have followed the sketches had predefined constraints (15 mm here, 45° there, ...) but on this sketch nothing is predefined.

What do you suggest to constrain on this sketch? When I add constraints to this sketch it deviates from my original plan.

Will constraining any of the curves on the handle make the fillet command work on both sides?

Thank you.

Message 4 of 4
Fruity13
in reply to: Fruity13

I got to a point that I am happy with the result but don't know what triggered the swirl.

I tried constraining the hell out of the sketch without changing the sketch. It wasn't easy, I could almost only dimension the sketch. I did not change the center point because it is a sketch-sketch. I copied it from a drawing and I have no intention to revolve it. Sadly after re-filleting the plate the swirl was still there on the right side while the left side was OK.

Tangent constraint did not work well, or I used it incorrectly. The sketch deviated off of the original. But the tangent made me think. There is a second option in the fillet command. The option "Tangent (G2) fillet" worked wonders. I could not see any noticeable difference between normal fillet and tangent fillet but the swirl was gone. So I went with the tangent fillet.

The original problem is fixed for me. Please post more comments and tips if you want. I would be happy to try some out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report