Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filler Material

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
feldwill
2281 Views, 10 Replies

Filler Material

Does anyone know if there is a commandt to fill in a little gap of missing material when you extrude one surface at the angle to the other.  It's easy when it's a flat surface to just extrude in the othe direction, but with 3D loft it's not as much fun.  See pic attached.

Thanx

William

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
swhite
in reply to: feldwill

Can you not open the lofted part in the assembly, move the bottom face so it projects into the other part, place a workplane on the face of the part it is to meet, then split it using the plane?

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 3 of 11

Hi feldwill,

The Thicken/Offset tool can often be used to fix these gaps. Just select the face on the underside of the feature and thicknen it a bit. It might not work for your part ( I can't really tell) but it's something to try.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 11
Cadmanto

William,

Under the model tab see if this command will work for you.

patch.PNG

If not I would look at some of the other surfacing commands.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 11
rdyson
in reply to: Cadmanto

In addition to Scott and Curtis' advise, you might also try Surface<Delete Face with the Heal setting. Can't really tell from the image what the geometry really is.

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 11
feldwill

Swhite and Curtis_Waguespack the problem with Thicken/Offset or moving that surface is that it creates 2 surfaces on the face of the blade and then I can not put a fillet there (It creates plane normal to the one selected and doesn’t follow the 3D spline of the blade). Rdyson- delete Surface/Heal sounds noble but it doesn’t want to do what it sounds it should.

I have attached an ipt if anyone wants to play with it and see if there is a trick up there sleeve or may be I’m using wrong modeling technique.

Thanks

William

Message 7 of 11
rdyson

Actually, delete face will work in this case. But I think you need to work on your modeling some.

Capture.PNG

PDSU 2016
Message 8 of 11
feldwill
in reply to: rdyson

I quickly deleted a bunch of things from the sketch for proprietary reasons, thats why it looks messy.

Hey, can you save that file compatible with Inv. 2012, Im getting an error, I think you are using 2013.

Regards

W

Message 9 of 11
rdyson

You should always indicate you version unless on the latest and even then it's not a bad idea.

I did a revolve cut to create a common surface and then the delte face.

Capture.PNG

PDSU 2016
Message 10 of 11
feldwill
in reply to: rdyson

That clean the edge was the missing step.  Who would have funked. Thank you.

Message 11 of 11
JDMather

Notice the i in circles - you have other problems.

Another technique that might have worked (I didn't try it with your geometry) is to Extend the surface before Thicken so that it penetrates down further into the existing solid.

Often, you should do the complex geometry first a bit larger than desired finished size then trim it back - just like out on the shop floor with real parts and then do the simple geometry like Revolve.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report