Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files dissapear when saving

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
397 Views, 4 Replies

Files dissapear when saving

Hi Guys 

Settings: Inventor 14 - Student version / Window 7 64bit

I have this problem. When I save parts in the library on my harddrive the file does not show subsequently. But if I try to re-save it, I get the statement that the file already exist. 

I cannot find the file anywhere, not even with the windows search function. The file is missing, but somehow present below the surface. 

Besides this did Inventor create several versions of my previous parts (0001, 0002, 0003... etc.)

Does anyone know how to solve this problem(s)? I have no idea where to go! 

Best regards 

Mads / Denmark 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

Create a new Project File that has a specific work directory. Inventor will then save all work to this directory. Chances are you are using the Default project that ships with Inventor.

I would do a search for *.ipt to see what and where the files are on your computer.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
RobSinglehurst

If you right click on the .ipt name in the browser and click on iProperties you will see the Location of the file on the General tab. I have used this plenty of times to find out where my files have gone!

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks for your reply guys, but we are not there yet. 

I have worked my way down deeper into this mystery. 

I've found the missing files but they are not in the directory I've set in inventor. This is the wired part:

I set the working directory to:     libraries\documents\specific_folder

But when saving the files I find them in the following folder: C:Users\User_name\documents\specific_folder and not in the libraries\documents\specific_folder

These two folder should be the same, right? Or am I missing out the basics of Windows 7??

I have been saving my files in the libraries\documents\specific_folder folder for months now and suddenly I the files started to "dissapear". 

Does anyone know of this issue? 

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
JDMather

1.  Are you using Projects (*.ipj)

1.b) can you post screen shot of your path to project

2. What is the full path of this "library"?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report