Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FILE SYNC BETWEEN HOME AND SHOP

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ianmacleanllc
553 Views, 6 Replies

FILE SYNC BETWEEN HOME AND SHOP

i have been working with inventor and "dropbox" to do a sort of cloud based project folder. i set up my drop box folder on each computer to be in the root of the c drive and all is working "OK". i work by myself and my simple files do not call for much in the way of custom templates and what not. i more or less just use inventor "out of the box". i did just notice that when i make bolted connections, the two machines cant find the individaul hardware parts if created on the other machine. im guessing i can change the location that the content center saves to, but  im starting to wonder if i should look into another way of working with my files. 

i just want to keep things as simple as i can but still work between work and home. 

anyone else have a system they use fro this? portable hard drive, file sync software????

thanks for reading.

-ian

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: ianmacleanllc

how about Autodesk Vault?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: DarrenP

No syncing but...

I've used realVNC before which actually allows you to control your work machine from home,etc.. Whats nice about that is your work machine (which is typically faster,etc..) is doing all the work.. Your computer at home is just displaying the image of what you would have if you were sitting at work and just sending keyboard/mouse commands.

Now we use some Windows remote desktop program (Small business server remote workplace) which is essentially the same as VNC.

I can literally run Inventor from a cheapo netbook or laptop.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 7
mike22
in reply to: ianmacleanllc

I have been using SugarSync for all my file syncing. It works great and they give you 5 gigs of free storage.

Message 5 of 7
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: mcgyvr

I'm running some products from LogMeIn.com. Has 256 bit encription and is fast.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 6 of 7

Dennis,

I couldn't get LogMeIn to display an Inventor or AutoCAD graphics window.  Does it work for you?

-Brian

Message 7 of 7

Like a charm. I use it daily to run older versions (as well as newer versions) from home.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report